Release!

Stormkahn

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I take notes, so when I had a lecture by the opposition HC over a call being wrong I calmly nodded wisely and scribbled.

Anyway here's the scenario which isn't really specific to U11 NRoP;

Red BC collides with Green player, green immediately starts to strip the ball and there's a bit of heave ho before others join, no maul has been formed, the green player doesn't have hold of the red BC. The red bc goes off his feet, hips down too, but still has hold of the ball. The green player shows great strength doesn't go off his feet but still has a tight grip on the ball. (Hopefully that makes sense)

I blew for red not releasing the ball. The lecture I had was that both players must release.

If green had gone off his feet then yes or if green had hold of red he'd be a tackler and need to release the player.

Thoughts?

Dave.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
it's that awkward anomaly of the tackle, with no tackler.
however it's covered by the Law..

[LAWS]15.6 (c)
Players in opposition to the ball carrier who remain on their feet who bring the ball carrier to ground so that the player is tackled must release the ball and the ball carrier. Those players may then play the ball providing they are on their feet and do so from behind the ball and from directly behind the tackled player or a tackler closest to those players’ goal line.
Sanction: Penalty kick12[/LAWS]

both players have to relase, and when neither of them did, actually you should have pinged green, as we make the tackler (or tackle assister) release first.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I find it unrealistic to claim that if A is holding the ball tightly, B can also be holding the ball without in any sense holding A.

But whatever - crossref has nailed it.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
it's that awkward anomaly of the tackle, with no tackler.
however it's covered by the Law..

[LAWS]15.6 (c)
Players in opposition to the ball carrier who remain on their feet who bring the ball carrier to ground so that the player is tackled must release the ball and the ball carrier. Those players may then play the ball providing they are on their feet and do so from behind the ball and from directly behind the tackled player or a tackler closest to those players’ goal line.
Sanction: Penalty kick12[/LAWS]

both players have to relase, and when neither of them did, actually you should have pinged green, as we make the tackler (or tackle assister) release first.

As above,

Its worth reviewing these 'tackle' definitions as well,
[LAWS]15.3 Brought to the ground defined(a)

If the ball carrier has one knee or both knees on the ground, that player has been ‘brought to ground’.

(b)

If the ball carrier is sitting on the ground, or on top of another player on the ground the ball carrier has been ‘brought to ground’.[/LAWS]