Rest period

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
With season at an end .
Should i take a month out , as some of me is aching .
Or is the reward of not training , too much hard work when i do go back training

What do others usually do .:deadhorse:

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Keep training, but very lightly. It's often referred to as "Training Down". If you totally stop it will take longer to build back up, but if you just lighten the intensity of the cardio or the weight/reps then the body will not 'degenerate' as much.

Paule23

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Keep training, but very lightly. It's often referred to as "Training Down". If you totally stop it will take longer to build back up, but if you just lighten the intensity of the cardio or the weight/reps then the body will not 'degenerate' as much.

Second this. Nothing worse than the first few weeks after taking a break from training. Really hard to get back into it, painful and not enjoyable. If you can ramp down but keep ticking over that would be a good solution.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
maybe look at toning, flexibility, pilates type exercise too

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
Take a month to do something different. As others have said, this is usually lowering intensity.

But it's personal and depends exactly what's aching and you could do something to maintain the cardiovascular intensity that's gentler on your aches.

IME it's usually knees. If so, think about having a complete break from running and switch to cycling, maybe a bit of swimming, with lots of stretching afterwards.

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
yes , i think ill hit the bike more than usual .
and keep a moderate run going at least once a week .

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
If you hit the bike more often, then make sure your stretching and flexibility keeps pace. Bikes are notorious for contributing to muscle imbalance and tightness when people take it up more than before without adjusting other activities. Areas in particular include tightness in quads and hamstrings, but also some reduction in gluteal activation (greater in non-trained)

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Took a month or so out a couple of years ago, won't make that mistake again. I've joined a local social running club, couple of 6 to 7k runs a week keeps me in shape