Restart after injury

Stormkahn

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I've had a good rummage but failed to find a definite answer and i know there will be somebody here who'll know the answer chapter and verse...

During the usual end of training game and we had what appeared to be a clash of heads so I blew up immediately. It wasn't anywhere as nasty as it looked thankfully; they were both fine.

At the time I restarted play with a free pass for the team currently in possession but actually think a scum is the right choice?

Cheers,

Dave.

P.s. this is for the u11 nrop.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
As it was a training thing and juniors, it doesn't really matter.... But had it been a real game then IMO scrum restart as per
[LAWS]20.4 (d) Scrum after any other stoppage. After any other stoppage or irregularity not covered by Law, the team that was moving forward before the stoppage throws in the ball. If neither team was moving forward, the attacking team throws in the ball.[/LAWS]

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
One assumes a 'free tap and go' leagie. :shrug:

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
As it was a training thing and juniors, it doesn't really matter.... But had it been a real game then IMO scrum restart as per
[LAWS]20.4 (d) Scrum after any other stoppage. After any other stoppage or irregularity not covered by Law, the team that was moving forward before the stoppage throws in the ball. If neither team was moving forward, the attacking team throws in the ball.[/LAWS]

What the hell is a free pass?

One assumes a 'free tap and go' leagie. :shrug:

C'mon guys -if you don't know the English U.11 rules (and why would you, from Australia?), don't jump in to confuse the OP.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
C'mon guys -if you don't know the English U.11 rules (and why would you, from Australia?), don't jump in to confuse the OP.

Well Dixie, in the absence that I had no idea where Mr Stormkahn originated from as his profile lacks that detail then I'm not sure how I was supposed to know he was referring to any Union regs, whether RFU or otherwise. :shrug: .So forgive me for trying to be helpful. I accept the 20 lashings. I will try to do better next time.

We don't have 'free pass' rules down here at any age group, but during a training game when we've dispensed with scrums and would use a pass just to restart the training game. So it's not totally foreign concept. But as there is no rule we fall back to the laws and I was just pointing the good Mr Stormkahn in the right direction.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Well Dixie, in the absence that I had no idea where Mr Stormkahn originated from as his profile lacks that detail then I'm not sure how I was supposed to know he was referring to any Union regs, whether RFU or otherwise. :shrug: .So forgive me for trying to be helpful. I accept the 20 lashings. I will try to do better next time.

We don't have 'free pass' rules down here at any age group, but during a training game when we've dispensed with scrums and would use a pass just to restart the training game. So it's not totally foreign concept. But as there is no rule we fall back to the laws and I was just pointing the good Mr Stormkahn in the right direction.

Because he posted his question in the mini/midi u12 forum.
That's how.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Which we also have here? Sorry I thought this section was for asking and answering questions about anything to do with this age group not only RFU specific mini/mod rules? Clearly I missed the rules on this thread. You're a mod so feel free to delete my posts that I clearly should not have entered. Apologies for treading on your RFU toes.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Apology accepted.
A quick look at the OPs profiles would have set you right.......referees in the UK.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Do you really go and check a profile before you respond to someone with what you think is friendly advice? I look at the profile/avatar section but not in the habit of checking up on everyone in detail.

I'm also happy to provide thoughts and receive thoughts on the game no matter what side of the ditch or colonies they lie?

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

I suspect that Stormkhan might have thought that his PS would give a clue:

P.s. this is for the u11 nrop.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Sorry 'nrop' didnt mean much to me and I just thought it was a typo for 'group'? But happy for someone to tell me what 'nrop' means so I can learn something.

(Not so sure why I'm copping such sustained curry for a simple posting of a law reference but admittedly I perhaps not saw the 'local' nuance that was really required was about RFU rule. I thought it was a site to help others? It's not as if I was trolling?!).

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Sorry 'nrop' didnt mean much to me and I just thought it was a typo for 'group'? But happy for someone to tell me what 'nrop' means so I can learn something.

(Not so sure why I'm copping such sustained curry for a simple posting of a law reference but admittedly I perhaps not saw the 'local' nuance that was really required was about RFU rule. I thought it was a site to help others? It's not as if I was trolling?!).

"New Rules of Play", I believe.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Stormkahn

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Sorry guys, didn't mean to start a bun fight and leg it!!

Thanks for the help, I suspect that ruling will get used plenty but lets hope there's many hours of injury free rugby ahead :)

Just to get everybody up to speed the English RFU are introducing a completely new set of regs for the kids, the U11s are the oldest age group operating under the New Rules of Play so they's still some wrinkles to iron out. This year they've introduced tactical kicking which has totally changed the shape of the game. There's no line out so the free pass is used to restart play, that and for high tackles.

The end of training games are as much about me (a total noobie) getting game time as it is about the lads working through the new rules.

thanks for the help fellas,

Dave.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
(Not so sure why I'm copping such sustained curry for a simple posting of a law reference

it was a slow news day :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
No intent to flame.

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
ignore them, if there is no obvious reference then jump right in; it is actually a form of constructive criticism (make the subject clear or you will get answers you might not expect).

There are few enough contributors, we are grateful for your thoughts. :cool:

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Sorry guys, didn't mean to start a bun fight and leg it!!

Thanks for the help, I suspect that ruling will get used plenty but lets hope there's many hours of injury free rugby ahead :)

Just to get everybody up to speed the English RFU are introducing a completely new set of regs for the kids, the U11s are the oldest age group operating under the New Rules of Play so they's still some wrinkles to iron out. This year they've introduced tactical kicking which has totally changed the shape of the game. There's no line out so the free pass is used to restart play, that and for high tackles.

The end of training games are as much about me (a total noobie) getting game time as it is about the lads working through the new rules.

thanks for the help fellas,

Dave.

It may be my faded memory, but I'm sure tactical kicking at U11 has been permitted for some time !!??