Restart Scenario

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Red restart after a score
When red kicks he is clearly and obviously in front of the half way line

Blue 9 catches the restart 12m from the half way line and races to the corner and scores

Decision?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
[LAWS]12.2 Kick-offs are taken on or behind the centre of the half-way line. Sanction: The non-kicking team has the option of the kick being retaken or a scrum.[/LAWS]

isn't this another "the ball hasn't actually entered play correctly yet" questions?

option of kick retaken or a scrum at centre. No try.

[LAWS]7.
Advantage must not be applied and the referee must blow the whistle immediately when:
The ball or a player in possession of the ball, touches the referee and an advantage is gained by either side.
The ball comes out of either end of the tunnel at a scrum.
A scrum is wheeled through more than 90 degrees.
A player in a scrum is lifted or forced upwards so that the player is no longer in contact with the ground.
A quick throw, free-kick or penalty is taken incorrectly.
The ball is made dead.
It would be dangerous to let play continue.
It is suspected that a player is seriously injured

[/LAWS]

hmm.. restarts not in that though...

didds

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Im letting the try stand.
That'll teach red to try and take a sneaky gain in some distance at the restart!

For me I will never pull that up the first time a kicker does that...and probably not the 2nd...the 3rd then yes. This falls firmly into the ask, tell, penalise.
It happens in most kicks when th kicker takes and extra step or so...pulling those up just brings the spotlight on you for the most minor of transgressions. Dont make it about you and that you can apply laws to millimetre!

Richard smith

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
Try stands as I have played advantage :) NO greater advantage than a try for the non-offending side

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I've been referreeing 4 of 5 years and I've only penalised this once, fairly early in my refereeing career. Definitely something that can usually be managed away with a word, then a very stern word, then a "you're going to do it again and you know what will happen"!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I've been referreeing 4 of 5 years and I've only penalised this once, fairly early in my refereeing career. Definitely something that can usually be managed away with a word, then a very stern word, then a "you're going to do it again and you know what will happen"!

so you'd play advantage and award the try?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Try stands.
This is one of those things where you ignore it first time, but let the kicker know if he does it again you won’t ignore it again.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Depends how far in front of the line/center of the line he is.

2m is taking the piss. A meter and below, I may flex and just have a quiet chat.

Of course, you can usually address when you see him lining up and not wait for the kick.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Its the same as a chaser being in front of the kicker. As soon as the ball is kicked, whistle and options. I can't imagine calling advantage, watching the ball land circa 22 metre line, maul forms, etc etc then going back for the scrum.

Edit: might be different if the ball went like a bullet to a catcher who then hared downfield. But all rather unlikely

Last edited:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
For me I will never pull that up the first time a kicker does that...and probably not the 2nd...the 3rd then yes. This falls firmly into the ask, tell, penalise.

so is the "penalise" but straight to PK - or options o nscrum or re-kick as per law sanction?

is there a danger of finessing yourself?

Ask him to not steal ground (having allowed play to continue) , then he does it again.
tell him not to steal ground (having allowed play to continue), then he does it again.

If you go straight to PK (deliberate & repeat offending presumably) then youve ignored the normal sanction.
If you go to the options sanction, he has effectively got away with it twice with no more a penalty now than had he been pulled up the first time.

didds

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
Interesting one.

If I'd let play continue to the point of blue making a break, play on.

But if red has been told not to restart like this then I'm going to have blown my whistle before blue has caught the ball anyway.

N.B. I always thought this was a situation where you couldn't technically play advantage, but it's less explicit in the new lawbook.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
so is the "penalise" but straight to PK - or options o nscrum or re-kick as per law sanction?

is there a danger of finessing yourself?

Ask him to not steal ground (having allowed play to continue) , then he does it again.
tell him not to steal ground (having allowed play to continue), then he does it again.

If you go straight to PK (deliberate & repeat offending presumably) then youve ignored the normal sanction.
If you go to the options sanction, he has effectively got away with it twice with no more a penalty now than had he been pulled up the first time.

didds

"Penalise" in that context is broadly to mean "apply applicable sanction".
Yes I apply the appropriate warnings with the "ask" and "tell" as you describe.

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
"Penalise" in that context is broadly to mean "apply applicable sanction".
Yes I apply the appropriate warnings with the "ask" and "tell" as you describe.

I agree, escalation to PK would be if they did it a fourth time.