Returning to the game

abitinga

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
I'm considering coming back as a referee after 2years off. My fitness isn't great at the moment, and I was after some advice on how I can get myself back to being match fit.

Thanks in advance

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
The short version: probably run and exercise.

Other wiser souls will have a fuller answers.

And welcome!

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
Start at a low level, and see how bad your fitness really is. At the lowest level - having a ref is a bonus, so fitness less of an issue. Then it is a case of running, cycling, anything really - to improve teh fitness. Then if you really want to do ref specific stuff, ask your society, or higher level refs, and tailor a program around reffing and your deficiencies.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
The short version: probably run and exercise.

Other wiser souls will have a fuller answers.

And welcome!

At least for early doors I reckon Simon and Flipflop are spot on. base fitness aka "stamina" is the bed rock. You'll need to add some sprint to that eventually but a really good base "fotness" will make that easier, and will also provide for faster recovery from a sprint (for when you geta 2nd one straight afterwards!).

As a starting point - can you run 5Km/3 miles non stop at the moment? Ir maybe, can you run non stop for 40 minutes (eg a half!) That wold be a decent finger-in-the-air starting point.

Good look.

didds

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
join your local society, get the L10/11 games and enjoy it! Once you've got the feel for reffin (again?) you'll know where you are fitness wise. If you plan to be reffin in Japan in 4 years time you'll have a lot of work to do, but if as most, you just want to be involved at county level, basic running/swimming/cycling etc will give you what you need and if you want to be at the top end of the county scene then some sprint work will be a need too :wink:

Welcome to the forum!

barker14610

Referees in America
Post Likes
In order:

1. Nutrition
2. Nutrition
3. Nutrition
4. HIIT

Wedgie

Referees in England
Post Likes
join your local society, get the L13/15 games and enjoy it! Once you've got the feel for reffin (again?) you'll know where you are fitness wise. ....

ftfy ;-)

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6

says he's a L10 ref :shrug:

and don't know about Kent, but I hear a lot of societies are struggling to field refs much below L10, hence the L10/11 suggestion :wink:

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Not convinced High Intensity Interval Training is the easiest/best way to get back to match fitness.
Good for maintaining fitness perhaps.

liversedge

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
can you run non stop for 40 minutes (eg a half!) That wold be a decent finger-in-the-air starting point.

Given the ball is in play for roughly 36 mins a game thats more than you need.
I'd say 3k in ~20-25 mins jogging is more than enough base fitness

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Not convinced High Intensity Interval Training is the easiest/best way to get back to match fitness.
Good for maintaining fitness perhaps.

It isn't the easiest, but no doubt increases fitness levels faster than conventional steady state.

barker14610

Referees in America
Post Likes
It isn't the easiest, but no doubt increases fitness levels faster than conventional steady state.

Yes. That was my point. I also find that I can recover very quickly during the match. And, my 30 minutes of HIIT make my matches the easiest workout of the week.

liversedge

Getting to know the game
Post Likes

Whilst there is plenty of evidence for the benefits of HIIT it is also important to remember that *untrained* individuals will benefit from pretty much any training intervention. I would recommend the OP just goes out and does something they will enjoy and likely do more and more.

AlanT

Referees in England
Post Likes
Week 1
Every other day: (a) 6-8 reps of two minutes running / 1 minute rest, (b) 3-4 reps of 10mins running / 2-5 minutes walking. Always warm up and warm down.
Days off - stretch.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Get to the gym and do some weights as well. Can't tell you how much these helped me in terms of speed and fitness.