[Law] Returning to the game

abitinga

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Ok so I've put the fitness post up, but I'm coming back to the game after leaving in 2013. I was a level 10 ref before I left.

What is the best way to get myself "match fit" as a referee in the Law and changes since I left?

So is there somewhere with:
a summary of the changes
Video training
Any other refereeing training/testing

Thanks

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
There aren't many law changes in the two years before the world cup; experiments follow it instead. That said, there have been some changes in interpretation (on which I am not an expert).

Unfortunately there aren't good referee (self) training resources, perhaps because that is an impossible requirement. Watch remaining RWC games as if you are the referee, perhaps, and call what you see. In private, at least at first ;)

If you have the luxury of being able to referee real grassroots as a neutral, do so, even if you don't feel 100% up to it for fitness quite yet. By which I mean you can manage 80 minutes. I'm in that position myself; players much prefer a neutral "bumbler" than "home" ref.

Since you are a returning referee, you already trust yourself mentally to a large degree, which is by far the most important thing, but your injury situation sounds worse than mine, so although I urge you to get "back in the saddle" as soon as you can, also: no earlier!

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
USA rugby has some useful training videos that may be worth a look

abitinga

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Do you havea link?

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
If you have only been out for 2 years the downlaods of the IRB/WR laws show what has been changed

abitinga

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Also is there any easy way to remember what offence deserves which punishment
for example
penalties are issued for x,x and x offences
whereas free kicks are issued for y,y and y offences

the last time I reffed I occasionally forgot the punishment when dealing with some of the smaller less common offences.

abitinga

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
If you have only been out for 2 years the downlaods of the IRB/WR laws show what has been changed
Again, do you have a link? ��