reversing decision for retaliation

wrighty

ELRA/Club Referee
Post Likes
Red late tackles white, white punches red, if that was all that happened, then straight forward white pen, reversed to red.however players from both sides then trade blows, all worthy of at least yellow.Ref decides to card the original 2 offenders plus a yellow for one more player from each side, but does he still award penalty ,if so to whom, or do you award a scrum, if so to whom and where would the mark be bearing in mind that white had advanced 30 m forward before the ref had to stop play.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Barnesy said at a talk that sometimes choose the most grievous.
For instance if amongst the blows there is also a sly kick to the head -- that's the one that gets the PK restart (as well as one of your cards)

Last edited:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
In this situation I would choose the one that most observers would see as the fairer outcome. Less likely to inflame the situation.

Bunniksider

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
If there is no obvious recipient for the penalty as per crossrefs example above then award the penalty to the defending team. So that the attackers don't get a chance at goal which the defenders may believe is unwarranted.

But scrum after handbags? No No No. Don't give them a chance to crash into each other from a short distance.

Fatboy_Ginge

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
PK to Red at the point where the original offence occured for me. I've based this decision on the retaliatory punch from White. It doesn't matter to me that I'd have carded the players. The handbags occurred due to the original punch

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
PK to white as it was the late tackle that started it....

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
PK to Red at the point where the original offence occured for me. I've based this decision on the retaliatory punch from White. It doesn't matter to me that I'd have carded the players. The handbags occurred due to the original punch

Drunk punches you in a bar, you punch him back. Who should be arrested?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
or is it "drunk trips in a bar and carelessly (recklessly?) spills his drink down your shirt so you punch him"?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Womble:231582 said:

Drunk punches you in a bar, you punch him back. Who should be arrested?

Both should be arrested (carded) but how do you restart ?

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Late tackle = Penalty, potentially a card depending.
Law says retaliation is not to be tolerated - so the punch would earn the card and the reversal.

ckuxmann

Referees in America
Post Likes
I'm going with in this case the defending team, no reason a team deserves three points from a flair up. I'm going with this as long as it was generally equal in the acts of FP. If not go to the side who didn't do it as bad.

Cody

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
I'm going with in this case the defending team, no reason a team deserves three points from a flair up. I'm going with this as long as it was generally equal in the acts of FP. If not go to the side who didn't do it as bad.

Cody

The correct decision is the post prior to yours (Davet post #11) and able to be backed up by law.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
The correct decision is the post prior to yours (Davet post #11) and able to be backed up by law.
Where does the law give the criteria for reversing a penalty? Where does it give guidance on which type of foul play is considered the more serious?

It is surely well established that reversing a penalty is a judgement call by the referee.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Late hits are rarely, tho sometimes, intentionally malicious. Retaliation always is. If the late hit is so late that its dangerous then YC. Always YC the punchers and joiners (if they are punchers too). Wrestlers on the ground get a reprieve and a warning in my view. The first puncher is PKd and informed that that he gave away his PK. Long version of Davet's post.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

I am pretty sure that the incident Barnesy discussed - complete with video - was a deliberate headbutt, met by an instinctive retaliatory punch.

He carded both, but started with a PK against the head butt as it was the more serious.
who am i to question barnesy, but anyway it seemed right to me.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes

Cody

Can someone please translate and run a spell-checker ?

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I'm going with in this case the defending team In this case I’m going with the defending team,. There is no reason that no reason a team deserves three points from a flair flare up. I'm going with this as long as it was generally equal in the acts of FP.That’s my stance, based on the assumption that all other aspects of the foul play law were about even. If not I would then go towith the the side who didn't do it as badwere less culpable
Where’s my gin.

Now in ST speak. Cody - your errors in red are now comprehensible. I added in blue to make it more palatable for SimonT

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Who would have known that Simon S spoke teenager :wow: