RFU are you listening? What a great idea this is.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
South African Referees - Shadow the Referee 2014

The Shadow the Referee programme is now open for 2014 applications. Due to the success of the programme, it has been expanded to include Super Rugby and Springbok Test matches during 2014. This means that from the kick-off of Super Rugby in February through to the Absa Currie Cup final in October, you’ll have the opportunity to become the ‘ref’s shadow’ on match day. The programme is open to all junior referees in South Africa who are registered with a local rugby refereeing society.

The best seat in the house!
It's the opportunity of a lifetime. Wearing your official replica kit, you’ll join the referee two hours before the match and accompany him during his preparations, including meeting the captains of both teams. You’ll be allowed into the playing enclosure and be available to run onto the field of play when the referee asks for water. You’ll also receive a ‘starter pack’ consisting of a Laws guide, sports bottle, rain jacket and drawstring bag to keep you refereeing at your best.

http://www.sareferees.com/recruitment/stand-a-chance-to-shadow-the-referee/

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Me me me - pick me.

What an excellent idea.

I wonder if you also get the chance to get attacked by fat b@stard Pieter van Zyl types when things aren't going smoothly?

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Its pitched as a prize , but the 'shadow' concept has wider potential outside this.

Say, once a season all refs outside National Panel level are invited to Shadow a referee at say ' Four levels' above where they normally operate.

Workable? Valuable ? Pointless? Wrong level? .....

KML1

Ref in Hampshire. Work for World Rugby
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
A great idea and one I would welcome. Most aspiring folk would engineer it happening anyway - I know I did a few times as I was about to step up a level. Forewarned is forearmed etc...

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
What a great idea - the questions will be asked of the RFU or already noted if Biggsy is reading this :)

We already have a shadow program for some high potential refs where they shadow at L5.

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
I remember doing this with my coach before I left for the US. Leeds v Otley in division 1 if I remember correctly, very informative day and certainly something that should be expanded.