Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
RFU LAW VARIATIONS APPROVED TO LOWER TACKLE HEIGHT

THE LAW CHANGES ARE AS FOLLOWS:
Law 9 Foul Play

9.11.(a) Players must not do anything that is reckless or dangerous to others including leading with the head, shoulder, elbow or forearm, or jumping into, or over an opponent.

9.11.(b) Ball-carriers must not lower their height significantly before making contact with an opponent in open play.

9.12. A player must not physically or verbally abuse anyone. Physical abuse includes, but is not limited to, biting, punching, contact with the eye or eye area, striking with any part of the arm, head, shoulder, forearm or knee(s), stamping, trampling, tripping or kicking.

9.13. A player must not tackle or attempt to tackle an opponent early, late or dangerously. Dangerous tackling includes, but is not limited to, tackling or attempting to tackle an opponent in open play above the base of the sternum even if the tackle starts below the base of the sternum.

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
well, anyway, I don't think the sky is going to fall next season.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Is this a law change or a regulation?

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
RFU LAW VARIATIONS APPROVED TO LOWER TACKLE HEIGHT

THE LAW CHANGES ARE AS FOLLOWS:
Law 9 Foul Play

9.11.(a) Players must not do anything that is reckless or dangerous to others including leading with the head, shoulder, elbow or forearm, or jumping into, or over an opponent. Like good - Ireland v England - Keenan sorted

9.11.(b) Ball-carriers must not lower their height significantly before making contact with an opponent in open play. Like good - La Rochelle v Gloucester - Yellow 2 sorted.

9.12. A player must not physically or verbally abuse anyone. Physical abuse includes, but is not limited to, biting, punching, contact with the eye or eye area, striking with any part of the arm, head, shoulder, forearm or knee(s), stamping, trampling, tripping or kicking. Like good - Looks like some players may now have to retire.

9.13. A player must not tackle or attempt to tackle an opponent early, late or dangerously. Dangerous tackling includes, but is not limited to, tackling or attempting to tackle an opponent in open play above the base of the sternum even if the tackle starts below the base of the sternum. Tough one that! Massive change in attitude end behaviour.

(I've added the same post to the "Law Change" forum - https://forum.rugbyrefs.com/index.p...oved-to-lower-tackle-height.22732/post-386282)
Why only the community game when there are clear benefits to all levels of the sport?

Locke

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
The primary issue/concern I have is how do I tell where the “base of the sternum” is in a fast moving situation like a rugby match?

I like 9.11(b) in theory but it’s already complicated by diving for the try which WR has specifically allowed. Also, is there any clarification on what “significantly” means?

DocP

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Not sure about that? Isn't the Law book global ??
Hmm, true. Thought it would be in the LVA highlighted bit. Where are the 20 min red cards listed down under? I have no idea

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
9.11.(a) Players must not do anything that is reckless or dangerous to others including leading with the head, shoulder, elbow or forearm, or jumping into, or over an opponent.
Except for pick-and-gos. which everyone has said aren't a problem and will still be allowed. And except for diving for tries. And possibly jumping over rucks to score, which currently seems to be an ad hoc decision by the ref of the day.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
So, is the RFU Law identical to the French version?
I heard it's proved popular in France

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Pretty sure it's not actually a law change...
Individual unions cannot change laws.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Pretty sure it's not actually a law change...
Individual unions cannot change laws.
They can change law applications

ETA: actually, they can change laws. RFU replacement variations are a change to the law book.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes

So that would include the Dan Biggar into Finn Russell scenario presumably?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
And possibly jumping over rucks to score, which currently seems to be an ad hoc decision by the ref of the day.
surely though that is now specifcally not permitted under

9.11.(a) Players must not do anything that is reckless or dangerous to others including ... jumping into, or over an opponent.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
9.11.b is going to be interesting near the try line

I do wonder if the logic of this is leading to NFL style touchdowns where you don't actually, um, touch down

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Maybe it’s buried somewhere but do they define “just before” as in
A ball carrier must not lower their body height or dip down just before contact with an opponent…
Or can a forward peel off the back off a maul and then charge in from 5m out with their head low?