RFU law variations approved to lower tackle height

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Maybe it’s buried somewhere but do they define “just before” as in

Or can a forward peel off the back off a maul and then charge in from 5m out with their head low?

They don't, I expect like the phrase "significantly" it is up to the referees judgement.
If the tackler is coming into make a tackle and the ball carrier then places his head into the space the tackler is aiming for, then that would seem to satisfy the just before law. Late & Low is the phrase they seem to be using. There are some video links to illustrate this in the Law Application Guidance.

The new Domestic law Variation only applies in open play

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
T

The new Domestic law Variation only applies in open play

so thats everything except joining/entering scrums, mauls and rucks presumably ? bending foen to tap a PK - the ball isnt yet live so no open play.

Everything else is open play once the ball has left/been tapped?

anything else ?

Locke

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Would love to hear from the refs in RFU areas how the new tackle height is going as the season is getting underway. First impressions? How do you determine what is too high? Good for team in possession? Good for defending team?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think give it a another three weeks, season is only just about the start

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Would love to hear from the refs in RFU areas how the new tackle height is going as the season is getting underway. First impressions? How do you determine what is too high? Good for team in possession? Good for defending team?
I'm sure that you would like to hear from WRU and SRU members too. They will not like being lumped into a RFU area!

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I've reffed 2 and watched 1 in pre season.
It's not really been an issue.
Some early reminders and penalties about tackle height and dipping late and low but nothing of significance to affect the games.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I'm sure that you would like to hear from WRU and SRU members too. They will not like being lumped into a RFU area!
Are WRU and SRU implementing the same law trials as RFU?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Are WRU and SRU implementing the same law trials as RFU?
I think same laws but differing interpretation (?)
I understand RFU guidance stresses empathy, while WRU is more on the side of zero tolerance

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
9.11b doesn't apply in IRFUland

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
(aside . .this is a really silly thing about rugby, that in this one tiny island we can't organise ourselves to have just one Law Book)

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
(aside . .this is a really silly thing about rugby, that in this one tiny island we can't organise ourselves to have just one Law Book)
I presume after the law trials and learnings the law book will be unified.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I presume after the law trials and learnings the law book will be unified.

It's not a law trial, it's a domestic Law Variation. So the law book wont change.

However I am informed that after the world cup World Rugby will look to implement a lowering of the tackle height worldwide and at the top levels. This would result in the law book changing later this year or early next year. The questions will be what wording they adopt, will it be the same as the RFU wording or different?

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
It's not a law trial, it's a domestic Law Variation. So the law book wont change.

However I am informed that after the world cup World Rugby will look to implement a lowering of the tackle height worldwide and at the top levels. This would result in the law book changing later this year or early next year. The questions will be what wording they adopt, will it be the same as the RFU wording or different?
In IRFUland it is in fact a law trial over a 2 year period.
Edit.. World Rugby refers to it as a global law trial.

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
In IRFUland it is in fact a law trial over a 2 year period.
Edit.. World Rugby refers to it as a global law trial.

I am not sure that is correct...or possibly has been worded wrongly.
My understanding was that only World Rugby can instigate a law trial, not individual Unions.
Unless World Rugby are conducting a law trial just in IRFU? But that's not what I was told (doesn't mean its wrong).

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I am not sure that is correct...or possibly has been worded wrongly.
My understanding was that only World Rugby can instigate a law trial, not individual Unions.
Unless World Rugby are conducting a law trial just in IRFU? But that's not what I was told (doesn't mean its wrong).
WR have given individual unions the freedom to trial variations of the overall tackle height law trial.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
WR have given individual unions the freedom to trial variations of the overall tackle height law trial.

It's not a trial here in England, because it's permanent. That's why the RFU refer to it as a Domestic Law Variation?

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
It's not a trial here in England, because it's permanent. That's why the RFU refer to it as a Domestic Law Variation?
No idea how that works....but if you say so.