Ripping the Ball

Pedro

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Sorry if this debate has already been had, but on reading trough the Law's online and trying to familiarise myself with some of the clarifications, I came across this:

[LAWS]For the sake of improving consistency of ruling from referees worldwide, in the following scenarios, has a knock-on occurred? If so, who has knocked the ball on?

1. Ball-carrier A from the red team runs towards the blue team’s dead ball line. Opponent B approaches A from in front and rips the ball out of A’s hands such that neither player has possession of the ball and the ball travels towards the blue team’s goal line. (We often see this ruled a knock-on by A).
2. Ball-carrier A from the red team runs towards the blue team’s dead ball line. Opponent B approaches A from behind and rips the ball out of A’s hands such that neither player has possession of the ball and the ball travels towards the red team’s goal line. (We often see this either ruled play or a knock-on by B).”
[/LAWS]
[LAWS]
Clarification of the Designated Members of the Rugby Committee
In each of the scenarios outlined the ball carrier is not responsible for losing possession.

In scenario 1 the ball has been ripped from the ball carrier by a player ripping the ball from the ball carrier’s hands and it goes towards that player’s goal line. There is no infringement in Law and play should continue.

In scenario 2 the player ripping the ball out of the ball carrier’s hands is effectively throwing the ball towards the opposition team’s goal line and this is an infringement which requires the referee to award a scrum with the non-offending team throwing in subject to advantage.
[/LAWS]

In Scenario 2 - the clarification states that the player ripping the ball is effectively throwing the ball forward, is this not a PK rather than a scrum? If not, why?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Sorry if this debate has already been had, but on reading trough the Law's online and trying to familiarise myself with some of the clarifications, I came across this:

[LAWS]For the sake of improving consistency of ruling from referees worldwide, in the following scenarios, has a knock-on occurred? If so, who has knocked the ball on?

1. Ball-carrier A from the red team runs towards the blue team’s dead ball line. Opponent B approaches A from in front and rips the ball out of A’s hands such that neither player has possession of the ball and the ball travels towards the blue team’s goal line. (We often see this ruled a knock-on by A).
2. Ball-carrier A from the red team runs towards the blue team’s dead ball line. Opponent B approaches A from behind and rips the ball out of A’s hands such that neither player has possession of the ball and the ball travels towards the red team’s goal line. (We often see this either ruled play or a knock-on by B).”
[/LAWS]
[LAWS]
Clarification of the Designated Members of the Rugby Committee
In each of the scenarios outlined the ball carrier is not responsible for losing possession.

In scenario 1 the ball has been ripped from the ball carrier by a player ripping the ball from the ball carrier’s hands and it goes towards that player’s goal line. There is no infringement in Law and play should continue.

In scenario 2 the player ripping the ball out of the ball carrier’s hands is effectively throwing the ball towards the opposition team’s goal line and this is an infringement which requires the referee to award a scrum with the non-offending team throwing in subject to advantage.
[/LAWS]

In Scenario 2 - the clarification states that the player ripping the ball is effectively throwing the ball forward, is this not a PK rather than a scrum? If not, why?
"Effectively" is not the same as "deliberately".

Pedro

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Thanks OB, can we move my post to the "Stupid Questions Forum" now please.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes

Not a stupid question Pedro. Quite often see TV refs get Scenario #1 wrong and play on in Scenario #2 when the "ripper" regains possession (after the ball has travelled towards his oppositions DBL).

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I thought it was a fair enough question, but I suspect applying the Clarification will still be mainly a matter of individual judgement.