[6N] Rolling on the ground - Owen Farrell

belladonna

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Owen Farrell was penalised for rolling on the ground with the ball just before half time in the match today vs Ireland (about 39 mins on the clock).

Commentators seemed to think it was harsh as there were no Ireland players contesting for the ball. And to me it seemed no worse than what we saw in Round 1... Has something been said?

I have to say I didn't like seeing so much rolling in Round 1 as it seemed to prevent a fair contest for the ball.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I thought it was a bit harsh in the context of what is being allowed.
However it is supposedly one of the focus points this season.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I thought OF was lucky not to get pinged for tackling Bundee Aki when he (Farrell) was on the floor. It was just after Conor Murray misjudged the Ford kick in front of the posts.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I thought it was a bit harsh in the context of what is being allowed.
However it is supposedly one of the focus points this season.

it’s been pinged this season, and no way it was momentum, so if material it’s a cheap one to give away :-(

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I wondered if the ref might already have warned about rolling ... or perhaps mentioned in PMB

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
It wasn't as bad as Zammit in the wales game. At one point he was tackled (debatable whether he was held or not) he then crawled forward on his hands and knees for about 6 or 8 feet. No attempt to get to this feet. Play on.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
It wasn't as bad as Zammit in the wales game. At one point he was tackled (debatable whether he was held or not) he then crawled forward on his hands and knees for about 6 or 8 feet. No attempt to get to this feet. Play on.

I bet he still moved faster than Billy Vunipola

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

i remember

I just wonder if on the back of that, there was a directive this weekend for everyone to be hotter on it - and all the teams would have known that, so effectively a warning

just a guess, because it would have been an odd PK fro OF, if had come completely out of the blue...

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
If it is a new crack down/missive, it will be ignored again by two weeks time, same as all the other similar "oo we really shoud do something about this" messages

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
Commentators seemed to think it was harsh as there were no Ireland players contesting for the ball. And to me it seemed no worse than what we saw in Round 1... Has something been said?

Dallaglio claimed nearly every decision that went against England was harsh. He might as well have been wearing an eye-patch in the commentary box. I wouldn't pay much heed to him.

Yeah, others have got away with it in other games, but it was a clear penalty.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Iits somewhat incongruous to expect a previous National Captain to be anything but one eyed frankly.

KoolFork

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Martin Johnson is much better in my opinion

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I'd aggree, and sam warburton seems eminently fair etc.

My point however still stands generally. If you want 100% impartiality find someone that hasnt represented the sides playing for a start.

belladonna

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Good point didds - and yes, Sam W does seem to be able to see things from both sides, which is lovely.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
"Expect" being the operative word.