Rowing Machine

Waspsfan

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 5
Does anyone have any experience with home rowing machines? I am keen to increase my cardio work and for a variety of reasons am thinking about getting a home rowing machine. They seem to vary tremendously in price (£100-£1000). Are the cheap ones absolutely useless? Anyone got one or got any recommendations?

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
A concept 2 all day every day. They are built to last and hold their value quite well if you choose to re-sell it. Can lease them or buy refurbished models as well which are pretty much as good as new

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
what he said ^

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
The standard is indeed the Concept 2. I'd steer clear of the cheapies - you put a lot of pressure through those things, and though I've not used cheap rowing machines I have seen other cheap gym kit - and it's typically cr@p. If you deviate from the Concept 2 for price reasons (quite simply, there are no other justifiable reasons), consider a model where a water reservoir around the spinning element provides the resistance. In my experience of resistance-based machines, maintaining a linear increment in resistance is the most common maintenance issue, and the failure to undertake regular maintenance is the biggest reason for failure in the device as a whole. I suspect that providing vanes with a variable angle of attack to the water is the most reliable method of providing linear resistance increments.

http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/water_rowing_machines/waterrower_a1_home_rower/11485_p.html

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I am here to agree with everyone else. Concept2 all the way.

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
concept 2...go with a refurb older model and it should be very reasonable.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Why not just hire a rowing boat?.......a real one!

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Bit inconvenient for a living room Phil!

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
i couldn't fit a Concept 2 in my living room. They're chuffing massive!!!!!
Get out of it! You live ooop north - loadsa space there, on account of there not being any workplaces taking up all the space otherwise available for residential accommodation. And you can get a big house dead cheap.