[RWC] RSA vs ITA - Uncontested Scrums?

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Did I miss something key, I know a prop is off for an HIA, but Italy don't have a replacement prop 18 mins ?!?

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Scratch that, apparently I missed the other prop getting injured, seems the second has failed the HIA - how long before the cynics claim this works to Italy's advantage and was deliberate :chin:

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
yep, only had 2 x LH props left so uncontested, from 21 mins into the game

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
One less prop now :norc:

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Crazy behaviour. Barnes handled the incident well.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Crazy behaviour. Barnes handled the incident well.

Thought he had a decent game throughout, communicated well, tried to warn players off penalties, made decisions quickly but gave the To4 opportunity to chime in if they wanted, and even had time for an ever so polite 'Good work Kitty' for spotting the block by green to disallow a try - don't think he could be more British!

tewdric

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Barnsey's having a good tour so far. I'd prefer to see Nigel get the final but I think its more likely to be WB or Pascal.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Barnsey's having a good tour so far. I'd prefer to see Nigel get the final but I think its more likely to be WB or Pascal.

Nigel Owens has a massive game tomorrow .... I have a feeling he will have his work cut out for him!

Best of luck to him . hope he smashes it.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Oops - I think Italy should have dropped to 14 players when they went uncontested :

[LAWS]3.17 In a squad of 23 players or at the discretion of the match organiser, a player whose departure has caused the referee to order uncontested scrums cannot be replaced.[/LAWS]

Or in fact when the second prop went off for an HIA it was correct to stay at 15 but when after ten minutes the HIA was made permanent the temporary replacement should have left the field taking Italy down to 14

Last edited:

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Oops - I think Italy should have dropped to 14 players when they went uncontested :

[LAWS]3.17 In a squad of 23 players or at the discretion of the match organiser, a player whose departure has caused the referee to order uncontested scrums cannot be replaced.[/LAWS]

Or in fact when the second prop went off for an HIA it was correct to stay at 15 but when after ten minutes the HIA was made permanent the temporary replacement should have left the field taking Italy down to 14

Didn’t they have the required number of replacements but both THs were injured so they had fulfilled their obligations ie no need to reduce.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Didn’t they have the required number of replacements but both THs were injured so they had fulfilled their obligations ie no need to reduce.

That's not the way it works in international rugby.
Teams always fulfill the requirements , otherwise their squad list would have been rejected when they submitted it

If they go uncontested they go to 14

(That's the same in RFU leagues as well for that matter, but merit table regs differ enormously)

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
3.27.b is at odds with 3.17:
3.27.b: Is temporarily replaced (even if all the replacements have been used). The game cannot restart until the player who requires an HIA has been temporarily replaced. If the player is not available to return to the field of play after 10 minutes (actual time) of leaving the playing area, the replacement becomes permanent.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Last edited:

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

That was my understanding (once I realised the first prop had been subbed), am sure we'll find out if it went wrong

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
So, from other sources (who I don’t doubt as at a decent level here in the UK), if the reason for uncontested was an HIA (as here) / Head, blood, or foul play injury they don’t go man off, a regular injury or tactical they do.

So in this case had injuries been other way round (HIA, then Hamstring) they would have had to drop to 14

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
It's as clear as mud , isn't it

Have Italy been extremely clever with the rules

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
[LAWS]World Rugby says

(d) In a squad of 23 players, or at the discretion of the Union/match organiser, a player whose departure has caused the referee to order uncontested scrums cannot be replaced.[/LAWS]

Presumably at the discretion of the match organiser (RWC) this does not apply.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Man off does apply.. one of those links WR even talk specifically about man off in a RWC final.

But I think the loophole .. or complicating factor .. is the fact that the second prop went off for an HIA and when that happens special rules apply.

I don't think we have heard the last of that because any suspicion of a fake HIA would be like a fake blood injury.. ..

Last edited:

belladonna

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I don't think we have heard the last of that because any suspicion of a fake HIA would be like a fake blood injury.. ..
The commentator said twice that it was a bit odd because the part of the player that got injured wasn't anywhere near his head...

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
The commentator said twice that it was a bit odd because the part of the player that got injured wasn't anywhere near his head...

...and we all know commentators are always correct with their assertions!