Rugby 12s

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
So what do we think of the new rugby 12s then ?
Innovative and exciting idea that will bring IPL style glamour and excitement to our sport ?

Or a totally unwelcome threat to the sport we love ?

Or a yet another pointless distraction doomed to failure (rapid rugby anyone)

Or something else ....

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I'm hoping it's doomed to failure. There's already sevens and tens as recognized alternate formats, rugby doesn't need another one.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
What about adding a player and having a play the ball after each tackle?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
So what do we think of the new rugby 12s then ?
Innovative and exciting idea that will bring IPL style glamour and excitement to our sport ?

Or a totally unwelcome threat to the sport we love ?

Or a yet another pointless distraction doomed to failure (rapid rugby anyone)

Or something else ....

As higlighted

We have sevens, why on earth do we need 12s?

The absolute last thing we need to be doing is adding more games to an already over-crowded schedule, and having more opportunities for players become fatigued and get injured. If anything, we should be reducing the number of games players are playing.

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think people have missed the real point of the 12s

it's like the IPL
- assemble the best players in the world for an auction
- the "teams" or franchises bid for them
- each team is like a Barbarians side
- three week rugby fest in one location
- lots of fun and lots of money

Have a listen to this - toward the end I think it was the last topic they discussed.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p09vwqvw

Ugo Monye is inolved in setting up, so naturally he's talking his own book, but Danny Care is interesting about how exciting it would be as a player to get involved. He could play alongside Cheslin Kolbe, or Beauden Barret - it's easy to see how that is exciting

Plus the money - six figure sums for three weeks?

It's not really about a new 12 a side format

Last edited:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
If the players sign up for it, I don't want to hear any moaning about being overplayed.

This may be tricky to get off the ground with players who are centrally contracted,

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
It's not a new Idea!
My club used to run a 12s tournament every pre-season back in the days when the English 15s season ran from Sept 1st to April 30th.
I think that changed when league rugby was brought in.
It was actually an inter-department competition for Vickers Shipbuilding works in Barrow-in-Furness.
It used to be keenly contested and was an opportunity for the shop floor lads to have a pop at the office staff as well as getting the local RL lads to have a taste of RU.
Great memories.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
It's not a new Idea!
My club used to run a 12s tournament every pre-season back in the days when the English 15s season ran from Sept 1st to April 30th.
I think that changed when league rugby was brought in.
It was actually an inter-department competition for Vickers Shipbuilding works in Barrow-in-Furness.
It used to be keenly contested and was an opportunity for the shop floor lads to have a pop at the office staff as well as getting the local RL lads to have a taste of RU.
Great memories.

was there an auction for the players ? :)

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
As a commercial venture I am not against it, there's a generation of exciting players, now overlooked for Country / Lions selection, certainly entering their twilight years that this could appeal to (Danny Care the perfect example), they are probably not being overplayed any more, and the only opportunities available are abroad somewhere and the occasional Ba - Ba's game (do they pay well?).

This may actually have benefit, if it can keep that experience within the club (occasional player, coach, mentor whatever) without commanding a high salary (and assuming the club get compensated for when they are away on 12s duty) and the players get to top up the pension, with a bit of razzle dazzle rugby as an alternative then why not? Not sure why we need a new game when 7s and 10s exist, but hey ho.

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
What change of laws do you expect to make it ‘razzle dazzle rugby’?:)

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
What change of laws do you expect to make it ‘razzle dazzle rugby’?:)

Nothing, but I heard they were planning to ramp up the energy at the events, more noise, music, lights, like a 20/20 cricket game, a bit like they trialled with Rugby X, not sure where that went

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
This works in cricket because of the nature of the gave - individual players with personal followings facing off. Kohli v Joffra, McCullum v Curran etc

You don't have so much that in rugby.

This is just a waste of time IMO, and as I said, adds potential for injury and fatigue to players that already play too much rugby

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I suspect its a new format becAUSE that can be copyrighted/registered/whatever and monetised. 7s and 10s cant do that cos ithe7y already exist.

Its basically tyhe 100 all over again but7 in rugby

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I suspect its a new format becAUSE that can be copyrighted/registered/whatever and monetised. 7s and 10s cant do that cos ithe7y already exist.

Its basically tyhe 100 all over again but7 in rugby

They hope it's the IPL

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
The ECB is hoping the 100 will do an IPL.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Yes, I think so. But cricket already has, well, an IPL !

... which the ECB arent able to monetise any more than they already have with the Blast presumably

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
World Rugby is moving to limit contact training.
They should also limit the ammount of playing time, otherwise coaches will organise training matches to get round the ban.
Which should rule out all the top European players