'Rugby greats' letter

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Head injuries could be an existential threat to rugby. Even with replacements, the physical bulk of players will mean the accumulation of collisions is likely to be dangerous.

indeed.

meanwhile in the 1st Lions test Biggar is concussed. It's his fifth(?) concussion in eighteen months.
straightaway the Lions are confident he'll be able to play the following week
in the pre game press conference AWJ misspeaks and suggests Biggar had been taking part in full training toward the end of the week when, of course, he must have been still doing the return-to-play.
Sure enough Biggar plays 2nd test (and makes three passes, anyone think he was on top form?)

Before people pile on, no I am not accusing anyone of breaking the rules, but I do think that - big picture - this story shows that as a sport elite rugby something has gone wrong and it is yet to take concussion seriously enough.

KoolFork

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
FAO Ian Cook,

Does the lack of civil liability in New Zealand for many personal injuries mean that the impact of collisions are less of a LEGAL (as opposed to a welfare) issue in New Zealand? Or does this not apply to NZRU?

When I have been in New Zealand, there seems to be a much higher level of 'Buyer Beware', ie you can't just assume everything is safe.

Cheers