Rugby in Antarctica

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
I question their leggings.

I also heard England couldn't put together a squad.

Last edited:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
January in Antarctica? So now Rugby Union is a summer sport! Jeez!

They could probably play in the winter but the -50°c temperatures and frequent 100 km/h winds with a chill factor down to -100°C or lower would make Rugby a difficult prospect, not to mention that it is pitch black 24/7 at that time of year, and the use of precious fuel for floodlighting would be difficult to justify.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
They could probably play in the winter but the -50°c temperatures and frequent 100 km/h winds with a chill factor down to -100°C or lower would make Rugby a difficult prospect, not to mention that it is pitch black 24/7 at that time of year, and the use of precious fuel for floodlighting would be difficult to justify.

Picky, picky :D

Rit Hinners

Facebook Member
Post Likes
January in Antarctica? So now Rugby Union is a summer sport! Jeez!

Didn't you know? It's been a "summer sport" for quite a while.

Clubs like Aspen, Vail, Breckenridge and Steamboat Springs can't find much open grass from September to April and so in the Eastern Rockies RFU they play in the summer.

That ment that the "city clubs" would basically play from March to November. June, July and August were light duty months for us "flatlanders" but we would have a match or a tourneyment at least 2 times a month .

I'm not actually saying that the winter months never had any rugby. Just that it was a rare event. Take the 10 a side St. Valentine's Day Massacre held in Breckenridge avery year.

You don't know what feeling isolated is until you break through the snow crust and you have one leg hip deep in the powder and 4 opponents closing on you.

Agustin

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Didn't you know? It's been a "summer sport" for quite a while.

Clubs like Aspen, Vail, Breckenridge and Steamboat Springs can't find much open grass from September to April and so in the Eastern Rockies RFU they play in the summer.

That ment that the "city clubs" would basically play from March to November. June, July and August were light duty months for us "flatlanders" but we would have a match or a tourneyment at least 2 times a month .

I'm not actually saying that the winter months never had any rugby. Just that it was a rare event. Take the 10 a side St. Valentine's Day Massacre held in Breckenridge avery year.

You don't know what feeling isolated is until you break through the snow crust and you have one leg hip deep in the powder and 4 opponents closing on you.

In most of Canada rugby is played in the summer although there are a few social winter events like a New Year's tournament in Lethbridge, Alberta or the (I believe discontinued) Pneumonia Bowl in Calgary, Alberta. Good times, good times...

Rit Hinners

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Aye, I know. I took a "schoolboys side" (U24s) up to Alberta for the celebration of their union's 100th birthday. Twentyfive lads to do six games in 9 days. Our tour manager was a little too ambitious.

The party after our last game was one to be remembered. There was a Japanese team also touring through at that time. Their sponsor, Bridgestone Tires, bought the bar for an hour. It seemed that no drinking was done during that hour, just buying. After the hour was up you couldn't find a table to set your pint down on as they were all full of pitchers, bottles and glasses of whatever the people from some eight teams could think of ordering.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
What society covers this patch?