Rugby World Cup 2023

oldman

Referees in England
Post Likes
I notice that there are three "applicants" for the 2023 World Cup. France, South Africa and Ireland. Although the infrastructure, stadium sizes, transport links etc may be better in France and South Africa may be better the thought of a five week party in Ireland must be the best bet. Any comments?

VM75

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Naive to underestimate the the power of politics [or bribery] to outrank infrastructure or boozeholes in any such award.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
After England & Japan you'd have to consider a SH option.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
That's SA then !

Id expect some back room deals being made to skate some of that potential Ireland world cup out to some or all of the other 4N countries.

Didds

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Has Ireland got enough quality stadiums to host the RWC without help from other countries?

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
You mean you have not seen the IRFU 2023 presentation yet?

(I am not 100% sure the Gaelic Athletic Association has asked its members, but they have promised the use of some of their stadiums. Given that Ireland played England at their HQ previously I think it is taken as a given, the members will be in favour of the deal.)

IRFU Stadiums
HQ. Aviva Stadium, Dublin 51,700 capacity Semi-final + QF
Pool Games Only @
Kingspan Stadium, Belfast. 18,186
RDS Stadium, Dublin. 18,677
Thomond Park, Limerick 26,987

GAA Stadiums
Croke Park, Dublin 82,300 (Final) + QF
Cork 45,770(Semi final) + QF
Killarney 43,180 (Quarter final)
Pool Games Only @
Belfast 34,186
Galway 26,197
Castlebar (Mayo) 38,000
Kilkenny 27,800
Derry 22,000

I must admit on paper the French bid looks the better offer. In fact when you see the poor showing, in terms of organisation for the Paris Sevens next month, it makes me laugh at the French 2023 bid, promising World class food, etc... (Everything they don't provide currently to the Sevens crowds ; unless you have a corporate hospitality suite pass.)

Last edited:

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
As a supporter, were I to take a month off work and go to a whole world cup, I'd definitely want to go to Ireland rather than France or South Africa.

Aside from the craic, due to the size of the country I'd expect the world cup to 'take over' far more than in France or South Africa, which would only contribute to the party atmosphere.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I can't see Ireland getting it without horsetrading with at least one or two of the Home Nations

L'irlandais

Post Likes
After England & Japan you'd have to consider a SH option.
It is true there is an alternance going on
1987 Australia and New Zealand
1991 5 Nations
1995 South Africa
1999 Wales
2003 Australia
2007 France
2011 New Zealand
2015 England
2019 Japan
2023 .....
:pepper: but it seems to me that WR is widening the net; Japan is a Pacific basin country, as are some SH teams of old. (RSA may well get lumped into the Atlantic Basin group.) To keep up the alternate rhythm 2023 would be the turn of one of the 6 Nations again. Might even see the Oceania's/Pacific Islands bidding for the RWC in future years.

Last edited:

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
or Argentina - who presumably have enough stadia - though they would need the goals changing and to be marked properly.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
or Argentina - who presumably have enough stadia - though they would need the goals changing and to be marked properly.

they had a very short dabble at hosting 7s - so short, in fact, that it never happened

L'irlandais

Post Likes
Did anything come of this, Argentina and Japan competing in Super Rugby?

Japan has also been the focus of strategic investment by the International Rugby Board (now World Rugby) and we view the region as a high growth, high potential sports and economic market with the 2019 Rugby World Cup, the 2020 Olympic Games and now Super Rugby on the imminent horizon.

Source : Sanzar rugby

Never mind, I found this on their website :
[LAWS]The Kings from South Africa returned to the fray, along with new teams: the Jaguares from Argentina; and the Sunwolves from Japan, taking Super Rugby to new places, new markets and new crowds.[/LAWS]

Last edited:

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Did anything come of this, Argentina and Japan competing in Super Rugby?

Japan has also been the focus of strategic investment by the International Rugby Board (now World Rugby) and we view the region as a high growth, high potential sports and economic market with the 2019 Rugby World Cup, the 2020 Olympic Games and now Super Rugby on the imminent horizon.

Source : Sanzar rugby

Are you running some old sort of browser that lags on its news?

Rather than tell you the answer I'll suggest you investigate further. You might only need to go forward to 2016 as a hint. :biggrin:

oldman

Referees in England
Post Likes
Thanks for your replies, interesting reading.
My feeling is that, again, money will talk. For the fans there could be no more interesting or enjoyable than time in the 'emerald" isle. Ve week party hosted by the most hospitable people I have ever meet, and over the years I have been to all the major rugby playing nations and most of the smaller ones. World Rugby will miss the chance of putting the players and fans first selling the sole of the game to commercial interests to make a buck or two and save their jobs. Professional rugby has changed the very sole of the game. Personally I'm glad my involvement is less than earlier years, I had fun do modern players at any level?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
maybe the success or otherwise of the women's WC in Ireland this year might be the litmus test

Guyseep

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
I'd like to see Ireland win the bid for a few reasons.

As mentioned earlier in this thread being a smaller nation, both geographically and population wise, the RWC would "take over" the entire country and it would build a much better atmosphere.

Having been to both the 2011 and 2015 RWC, NZ was fully engrossed in the event and I could see evidence of it everywhere. In England I could barely find mention of the RWC and I spent most of my time in London.

Also as for the idea of Ireland not having enough stadiums, you will find that they are basically on par with what NZ had. The biggest stadium, Eden Park held about 60,000 people I believe? The other games were primarily at super rugby venues or smaller venues all over NZ.

Ireland has the benefit of being able to use their dedicated rugby stadiums but also the GAA stadiums.

VM75

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Why not give it to the US of A , that way we'll get longer breaks between Quarters to get more beers in , or we could nip out to get a cuppa whilst the SKYDIVER brings the end of match refreshments in !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utTsVvArdhU

#EntertainmentGlitz

Last edited: