RugbyRefs.com Law Clarification Request - Knock On

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
my pragmatic view is that
- if you release the ball to kick it, and are tackled before the kick connects, it's not a knock on
- if you release the ball to kick it, but simply miss the kick (perhaps you slip), it is a knock on (assuming it goes forward)

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
I think the case where a player fails to make contact of any sort entirely through his own fault is essentially limited to very young age groups.

You haven't seen me kick.

Or you are now so ancient that "very young" takes on a whole new meaning! :)

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
my pragmatic view is that
- if you release the ball to kick it, and are tackled before the kick connects, it's not a knock on
- if you release the ball to kick it, but simply miss the kick (perhaps you slip), it is a knock on (assuming it goes forward)
?

I do think the law ought to specifically allow for the release forward, and that will surely mean this issue has to be addressed.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I don't know.
- people missing the kick entirely is pretty rare, so it's probably almost moot. when it does happen I don't thnk the knock-on call will be a pointof conflict.

- people getting tackled just as they make to kick is more common, but not very. Does there need to be rule? sometimes it will look to everyone like a knock on. Sometimes it might be very confusing and the ref just makes a judgment

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Losing the ball in contact (unless it's physically knocked from your grasp by an opponent) is a knock on, so don't see much problem with simply calling the ball lost forward in the tackle - clearly if the tackle was too late it would be a PK anyway.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
- people getting tackled just as they make to kick is more common, but not very. Does there need to be rule?
From my point of view, yes, very definitely. It offends me to see a knock-on given in that situation.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
So change should say:

The rugbyrefs.com members seek clarification of Law 12 in relation to the ball being knocked on.

Law 12 definitions defines a knock on:-

[LAWS]A knock-on occurs when a player loses possession of the ball and it goes forward, or when a player hits the ball forward with the hand or arm, or when the ball hits the hand or arm and goes forward, and the ball touches the ground or another player before the original player can catch it.
‘Forward’ means towards the opposing team’s dead ball line.[/LAWS]

1, We believe that when a player carries out a drop kick it is accepted that the ball being released forward and touching the ground is not a knock on or a throw forward, even if it travels forward. If this player is tackled after they have released the ball, but before they kick so that the ball is no longer under control, is this considered a knock on?

2, If a player punts the ball forward, the ball will have been released forward before the kick takes place. This is not classed as a knock on or throw forward. If this player is tackled after they have released the ball, but before they kick, and the ball is no longer under control, is this considered a knock on?

3, If a player accidentally loses control of the ball, and the ball travels forward, but the player manages to kick the ball forward with their foot deliberately before the ball touches the ground or any other player, is this a knock on?

4, If a player accidentally loses control of the ball, and the ball travels forward, but the player manages to kick the ball forward with their foot accidentally before the ball touches the ground or any other player, is this a knock on?

End of clarification request.