RWC 2019 cancellations

Pablo

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Well, it’s happened: https://www.rugbyworldcup.com/update

Never mind the arguments about a tournament in typhoon season or reschedules. Is there any other means besides a scoreless draw that could be used to settle these problems? I’m guessing not, but curious to know if other less visible tournaments have a creative method of sorting this stuff out.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
in other tournaments there are not the same time pressures and cancelled games can usually be re scheduled.

There have been a few European games cancelled over the years -- trying to recall if any were not rescheduled and what happened to them

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
In 2011, a Super Rugby match was cancelled due to the Christchurch earthquake, and again this year because of the mosque terrorist attack, again, in Christchurch.

For RWC, I don't think there is any fairer answer than a scoreless draw although, IMO it should not be recorded as a draw, just a cancelled match.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
England or NZ could now become the first team to win a RWC without first winning all their pool games !

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Should be just a no game, and then pool standings be done on points/games played (so 12 points from 3 games would beat 15 points from 4 games)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
AIUI there are contingency plans for all the KO games... So it is possible to reschedule / relocate ...

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I know nothing about Japan, weather, or hosting large sporting events - however, Typhoon risk was known, I would have thought the first contingency plan would be an alternative venue? Certainly here it seems East coast is at risk (hence the cancellations) but West coast ok? Appreciate any which way it's hassle, cost, and some people will miss out but could the East coast games not be moved to the West, back to back with the other games, or different day? Hell, even playing the game somewhere and people watching on a big screen, in Japan, has got to be better than no game?

Either way I think Rugby should always be settled on the pitch, and imagine social media for the next 4 years if someone goes home because of the weather (or the conspiracy theories if Japan go through!)

timmad

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
The Weather Always Wins

But should it?
Should the RWC have contingency plans to allow weather affected games to be restaged especially where the result affects the progress of teams?
It may present logistical difficulties but other sports manage to stage games at short notice. For example, in the current post-season baseball where best-of-5 and best-of-7 game series are played, teams cannot be certain who they'll be playing or when until results come in yet they manage to arrange games and sell tickets speedily.

Last edited by a moderator:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
On complicAtion is treating all teams equally.
If they found a solution for Eng france then we also need one for nz Italy

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Money rules over common sense AGAIN.

You've travelled to a country in the middle of Typhoon / Hurricane / Monsoon / Tornado season to see your team only to spen a couple of days in your hotel hiding from the weather.

Why on earth was the competition scheduled in Japan at this time of the year?

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Because it did not disrupt Super Rugby and the Premiership could start lateto accomodate.
Bear in mind F1 are aso in town and they could go at any time of the year.

But I am not sure moving to the other coast helps. wp2019.jpg

Seoul might

timmad

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
There is a history of major tournaments being awarded to controversial venues:
Soccer World Cup - Mexico - altitude
Soccer World Cup - Qatar - climate / human rights / culture (alcohol)
Olympics - Moscow - politics
Olympics - Los Angeles - politics

I'm sure readers can think of other examples where the choice seems to serve only the blazers and not the players or fans.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
The South Africa-France semifinal in 1995 was (seemingly) played in a swimming pool. The best laid plans (are at the mercy of the weather).

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
The 2011 RWC was played in a country with no stadiums big enough to host the event ..

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
The South Africa-France semifinal in 1995 was (seemingly) played in a swimming pool. The best laid plans (are at the mercy of the weather).

But there was no general threat to life in that game going ahead (drowning for one of the players?)

That isn't to say some contingency may have been expected to have been in place this time

didds

Last edited:

tewdric

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I really think WR should rethink this and reschedule the games for Monday, behind closed doors if required. If England or New Zealand go on to win, we will never know if it was beacuse of the extra rest they had in an attritional competition.

I wouldn't fall out with everyone else stating they will refuse to play this weekend to force WR to reconsider.

As Mark says it is not a suprise and they shouldn't have chosen Japan in storm season. At the very least they should have had a reasonable contingency. Cancelling matches and carrying on regardless is outrageous.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
If the Scotland match is canceled, we're out.

No serious sport, trying to host the biggest event in their calendar, would contemplate that as a possibility.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
nice little rest for the favourites as we head into QFs

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
If the Scotland match is canceled, we're out.

No serious sport, trying to host the biggest event in their calendar, would contemplate that as a possibility.

They won't rearrange it now, having cancelled two games. Why should Scotland get a chance to qualify when Italy were denied theirs?

You would have to think that the first line contingency plan for any game should have been postponement.
Eng Fra should have been moved to Monday (same stadium as Scot Japan) and then if Sco Japan goes down that would have to be Tuesday.

tewdric

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
There is such an outcry I think we may not have heard the last of it.