RWC Aus vs Sco

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
Did the pundit just say Scotland should have called a mark from that last kick off? You cant do that, can you?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
you are correct.

Richie can write his acceptance speech now.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
How big was CJ's call to give Oz that last penalty? I don't think I would have given it.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
I just tuned in and concur. Of course once it was adjudged a knock-on the PK was the right call. Shame for the Scots.

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
No late shot on the kicker immediately before that penalty? Really? Really? You want to show that to the football lot the next time someone says a video referee will solve all ills.

Maitland doing an excellent job of refusing to bite on the clown interviewer trying to get him to say something intemperate about the referee.

Last edited:

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
What the hell is the pundit saying now?? That if it did come of a yellow it would be ACCIDENTALLY OFFSIDE...what??? Its PLAY ON isn't it???
Incidentally, don't watch the ball watch the ref...his arm changes as the players shout.

Help me...it can't be accidentally offside can it...its either offside/penalty or play on.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
How big was CJ's call to give Oz that last penalty? I don't think I would have given it.

If he'd given the earlier one as a PK rather than unintentional offside then that one would not have been seen as big of an issue.

Arturas

Referees in Lithuania
Post Likes
Yellow card was ok? for me was nothing for YC or even penalty.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Re: Re : RWC Aus vs Sco

Aust didn't respect the ball today. Very lucky escape.
Wasn't CJs best. IMO -He wasn't consistent. His scrum decisions were not good. I think hes usually better.

Wedgie

Referees in England
Post Likes
I saw KO from Blue, onto and off Gold and Blue then picked up the ball. Had the ball not come off Gold, then no issues with the penalty (other than inconsistency with the previous instance earlier in the game). But as it did come off Gold, then scrum Gold for the original KO.

Last edited:

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I have a knock on by Scotland, ball then touches an Australia player who is playing at it, then caught by a Scottish player in front of the original Scot.

I would have thought the Australian touch would mean the 2nd Scot is no longer offside, but I'm not 100% on how you union fellas interpret it.

Rawling

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Who's in charge of the Twitter account? I think the "my opinions are my own" disclaimer needs to be a bit more obvious...

11.3 Being put onside by opponents

In general play, there are three ways by which an offside player can be put onside by an action of the opposing team.

(c) Intentionally touches ball. When an opponent intentionally touches the ball but does not catch it, the offside player is put onside.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Plenty of controversy in that lucky escape.
Maitland hard done by. CJ tells him it was an overlap situation. What would CJ's decision have been if Scotland had another defender outside Maitland?

All of the Scotland and Wallaby supporters would have immediately thought, "Newcastle", when it started pissing down.

Need to watch a slow-mo of the final penalty decision. Still not sure who it came off.

Who was the numpty interviewer baiting the players and coaches post match?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I was listening on the radio so my observations are based on that. Apparently it came on the big screen that the knock on then hit a yellow player before being collected by the blue player.

So it should have been a knock on, not a penalty.

The players were imploring CJ to look at the screen but he wouldn't. You have to think that 'certain other referees' would have gone to the TMO at such a crucial decision, protocol, or no protocol?

But what really riled the commentators on the radio, more than I have ever heard before is that CJ blew the final whistle and then sprinted for all he was worth to the tunnel. He didn't shake any hands, he didn't even wait for this ARs to join him. The commentators called it a despicable act that was an embarrassment to the referee, an embarrassment to rugby and a that he should never referee at any level ever again.

Strong words I know, and I am just going by what I heard on the radio, but if true then that is a terrible way to behave. Apparently they didn't show this on the TV?

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Strong words I know, and I am just going by what I heard on the radio, but if true then that is a terrible way to behave. Apparently they didn't show this on the TV?

i certainly don't recall seeing it.

The umpire

Referees in England
Post Likes
I was listening on the radio so my observations are based on that. Apparently it came on the big screen that the knock on then hit a yellow player before being collected by the blue player.

So it should have been a knock on, not a penalty.

The players were imploring CJ to look at the screen but he wouldn't. You have to think that 'certain other referees' would have gone to the TMO at such a crucial decision, protocol, or no protocol?
You are correct. Just before that of course, he, and the TMO, ignored the late no-arms hit on Hogg.
When he was so quick for an iffy deliberate knock on and v harsh YC

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Yep, blue knock-on at worse.
NO and WB firming in the betting???