[RWC] Italy vs RSA Tackle RC

peperami

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Hi

Just interested in why no consideration of giving both Red Cards ?

Ben

tewdric

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Mu suspicion that WR have told refs to go easy on the field and let the citing commissioners deal with them is growing..

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I thought 1 was clearly leading the tilt and drop, 17 looked if anything as if he was trying to slow it. But it could have been two red.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Difficult, possibly without both then he wouldn't have been dropped, but I thought 17s actions alone would certainly have been ok, 1 just took it above and beyond and then dropped. Wouldn't have been surprised if 2xRC though

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Hi

Just interested in why no consideration of giving both Red Cards ?

Ben

There was consideration. Barnes felt that Blue 1 was the "worst" offender. Could easily have been two. I can understand The line Barnes took. Few top level guys seem to like to give two reds to the same team for "one offence".

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Squads don't normally get to replace players who are RC but with props that's tricky .. if they both get banned will one or two other Italian players also have to leave the squad to allow them to bring in enough props for their last game.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Only just seen the replay, can’t see how it was anything other than two reds.
A leg each, both lifted the leg above the horizontal and let him go :norc::norc:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I just heard the NZ radio commentator in the NZL v NAM match say that one of the Italian props RC for the tip tackle in the ITA v SAF match only got a three week suspension! (nothing online about it yet).

Tell me it isn't so!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Hasn't every single sentence been three weeks ?

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I just heard the NZ radio commentator in the NZL v NAM match say that one of the Italian props RC for the tip tackle in the ITA v SAF match only got a three week suspension! (nothing online about it yet).

Tell me it isn't so!

Both got 3 weeks, which is surprising given that the #17 didn't even agree that the offence warranted a RC!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/49951138

mcroker

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
3 weeks seems incredibly lenient for what was a potentially life-alteringly dangerous bit of foul-play, for me aggravated by the fact it happened after then ball went dead.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Elite refs told not to send both (as it would ruin the game, oh how I hate that phrase) !

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Elite refs told not to send both (as it would ruin the game, oh how I hate that phrase) !

that doesn't surprise me.

In the scenario of only one player tip-tackling and receiving a RC, if a team mate then did the same thing a minute later what would happen then? No RC?

and meanwhile in this scenario witha double TT and only one RC ... the 2nhd player remains, scored the winning points in extra time with a piece of exceptional individual brilliance, then receives a post match red... ?

didds

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Hasn't every single sentence been three weeks ?

Reece Hodge got 6 weeks. Commuted to 3 for prior good record. So his mistimed tackle was twice as dangerous as the Italian spear tackle.