Saint Wayne

ex-lucy

Referees in England
Post Likes
I thought Saint Wayne didnt cover himself in roses at the weekend ...

forward pass for Toulon's try !! jeez, unlike in Cardiff (NZ v France) .. he was right there adjacent to the blue 9 the ball passed him in flight ... the centre who received the pass was quite obviously in front of the 9 who passed it. AR was standing there in line too !

Sentinels again .. Orish teams get away with it, why?
phalanx of red fanning out of ruck preventing defenders.... in Sarries game it was a phalanx of white !

too many red players off their feet at tackle/ ruck time... time and again they just dived in off their feet - sealing etc.
i quote Dixie and OB here:
However, I wonder what happened to the "planes landing" and "planes taking off" analogy? So many pro players now hit the ruck in a "planes landing" attitude that I can't help conclude:

a) it's been coached
b) it's to be expected that they will end up off their feet
c) it would be perfectly reasonable to ping them for failing to make an effort to stay on their feet

The breakdown is a point of contest. It is rare for diving over to be immaterial.

The yellow card for George Smith was incorrect, imho.
I think Saint Wayne got carried away. yes, the pens leading up to the YC were correct and the escalation was good but teh actual card decision was incorrect. He pinched that ball fair n square imho. The fisrt offence in any case was 3 red players diving in off their feet. The crowd baying may have had something to do with it.

Wayne's positioning for Munster's 2nd, 3rd 4th and last try was awful.
A L10 ref would have been castigated.

There seemed to be lots of pens ... but few cards

KML1

Ref in Hampshire. Work for World Rugby
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
Wayne's positioning for Munster's 2nd, 3rd 4th and last try was awful.
A L10 ref would have been castigated.

.... but Level 10 refs wouldn't have access to the TMO which whatever we may say, affects our positioning, just as mine is impacting by having ARs with fullyfunctioning real time comms.

I didn't see the game or highlights so can't comment on the rest.

ex-lucy

Referees in England
Post Likes
so why was he so well positioned for Toulon's try and Munster's 1st try and why were most other refs I saw this weekend classically positioned at 'try time'.

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
Saw part of the game, and had the thought that WB needs to get back on the fitness, specifically his sprinting - his speed looked real slow, and I often thought he looked off the pace of the game.

Big J

Referees in England
Post Likes
Out with him for "fat boy" curry on thurs so will ask him what he thought.

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
Big J - the standard place in Richmond?

I'm sure WB will tell you that the TV didn't show it right, and that his long legs makes him appear slow when he isn't, and that widescreen (and radios etc) make everyone look fat! And then he'll order a lots of food and beer!

Have fun (people going to be at RAC on Sat 30th Oct? I'm in town, and probably looking for a beer!)

FF

Big J

Referees in England
Post Likes
No some new place in Richmond.......RAG probably I think Im reffing Dunstonians and will call in on way back

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I didn't see the game or highlights so can't comment on the rest.
Except perhaps for the suggestion that the AR ought to have called the forward pass. Do you want yours to do that or not?

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
A general rule of thumb I use is "only if they're in a better position than me".

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Saw part of the game, and had the thought that WB needs to get back on the fitness, specifically his sprinting - his speed looked real slow, and I often thought he looked off the pace of the game.

I saw the whole game, and it was also reviewed in "Northern Exposure" on Tuesday night.

WB looked as if he was "plodding" sometimes, didn't look like he had much of a sprint, and appeared to be carrying a bit of "beef".

Does WB have weight control issues?

Also, I agree with lucy's earlier comment about his positioning for all but the first of Munster's tries, and I do not buy the TMO excuse. The TMO is there as a last resort if you are unable to make a try decision because you are unsighted; he is NOT there to cover your arse because you are poorly positioned!!

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
...Also, I agree with lucy's earlier comment about his positioning for all but the first of Munster's tries, and I do not buy the TMO excuse. The TMO is there as a last resort if you are unable to make a try decision because you are unsighted; he is NOT there to cover your arse because you are poorly positioned!!
Hello Ian,
I think Donal comments in this "orphaned" thread are perhaps relevant.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Does WB have weight control issues?
I've wondered about this at times. He looks like he ought to weigh about 12 stone (168 lbs, 76Kg), so it's a surprise on occasion to see him filling out his jersey. It may well be that the comms vest and associated kit makes him appear bulkier than he is, but other slender refs such as Craig Joubert and Pro Legoete don't seem to give the same perception.

Donal1988

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Wasn't all that impressed with Wayne Barnes.

For me he allowed both Munster and Toulon to seal off all day long. With the first half almost finished Skysports pointed out that Munster enjoyed over 70% possession. Leamy looked to be especially guilty for sealing off. Later in the game Toulon were able to go phase after phase after phase doing it too and had 80% possession at one stage during the second half. Players from both teams were able to seal off all day.

He also paid no real attention to lifters obstructing the ball carrier in the lineout. This isn't something I can usually spot easily from my armchair but I counted Joe van Niekerk, Donnacha O'Callaghan and Tony Buckley all making sure the jumper was protected illegally.

Barnes also he missed a few forward passes. Toulons first try and Munsters first try both looked forward to me and at one stage in the second half Denis Hurley knocked on. He was running down the wing and he knocked on in a tackle. I saw it from the comfort of my armchair. I can understand a referee missing it but I could also see the touch judge signal the knock on but Barnes didn't look to him.

Oh and also I have no idea why Tony Buckleys try was not awarded early in the first half. I don't have a video so can't show it but maybe someone remembers it. Overall I thought Munster benefitted greatly from his refereeing. They used the maul to great effect as the jumper was often illegally protected and they were able to simply go through the phases when they had built their lead and speed up the game when Toulon tried to chase it. Not terrible by Wayne but certainly a few things that should be a bit better.

L'irlandais

Post Likes
...Oh and also I have no idea why Tony Buckleys try was not awarded early in the first half. I don't have a video so can't show it but maybe someone remembers it...
After 18 minutes of play, Buckley drives over, TMO said he saw the grounding but it was a "double mouvent" before grounding it. See it clearly here at the 31 minute mark.
Overall I thought Munster benefitted greatly from his refereeing...
I agree.
He has ref'd so many Munster games now that I think they must be doing video analyse of what he's not penalising them for, before each match.

L'irlandais

Post Likes
Me again,
For what it's worth (2 cents maybe) I believe Mr. Barnes was match fit, in fairness. The match was played at great pace, almost like a Test match. Toulon, who picked up 3 serious injuries, were over-awed at times by the pace.
At 68 minutes & 30 seconds in the video, we hear WB say "Hands away, Red's No. 5 you were off your feet! * In fact you were all off your feet. Why are the red players all off their feet?" Although we only hear WB's side of the conversation, it is clear that No. 5 is questioning the penalty against him.
Imho WB was lax, in lots of areas.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
After 18 minutes of play, Buckley drives over, TMO said he saw the grounding but it was a "double movement" before grounding it. See it clearly here at the 31 minute mark. I agree.
He has ref'd so many Munster games now that I think they must be doing video analyse of what he's not penalising them for, before each match.

:nono: :norc: :biggrin:

Big J

Referees in England
Post Likes
Well guys, not only did Barnsey attend fat boy curry had the pleasure of his coach Spredders so top night.

They had spent most of the day going over the match tape and in the words of Spredders (they arrived at 9pm) theyd only got through the first half lol!

Wont go into specifics as cant remember but both recognized it wasnt WB's best day at the office which is the good thing I suppose.