SANZAR ruck and scrum review

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
So what they are saying is....................."we want player to stop breaking the laws?"

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
big thing from that article seems to be that the tackler has to release. haven't i seen that written down somewhere?

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
"He is doing too much. We've allowed, in the evolution of the game, to let him remain in contact with the ball and ball carrier after he leaves his feet and he stays on the ball and jumps up and rips it away.”

This has seen the game develop into a situation where teams are afraid to move the ball wide, for if the ball carrier is isolated, it inevitably leads to a turnover.

"It looks great in the one-on-one scenario, but it's actually against the law. It creates in the game a repetitive scenario where the ball carrier ends up with no rights because he can't do anything with the ball.”

"The tackler inevitability gets the penalty which philosophically goes against what we are trying to achieve. We've agreed the tackler must release everything when he goes to ground and not hold on as he gets to his feet."

So they want refs to implement the Laws as written, rather than adopt an elite protocol which ignores it..

Sounds good to me.

What I would really like to know is who was responsible in the first place for seeking to devolve the elite game from the Laws, what did they hope to gain and who the heck let them get away with it?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
What I would really like to know is who was responsible in the first place for seeking to devolve the elite game from the Laws, what did they hope to gain and who the heck let them get away with it?
Coaches, players, sponsors, TV, perceived view of fans etc. They provided a subtle pressure to make changes and that happened slowly, so it was only after a bit that they realised the problem. Yes, we told them, but who listens to us?

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
At least our life will be made easier on a saturday now if showbiz is going referee the ruck and tackle laws that are in the book.:clap:
Believe it when I see it!!

I wonder if the'll do the same about people in front of kicker and offside /guards at rucks an mauls??

fortunately don't have too many scrum issues.