[CLUB RUGBY] Saracens breaching salary cap, yet again.

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Saracens face Premiership relegation if found to have breached salary cap again
The defending champions received a 35-point deduction and a £5.3m fine in November, having broken the cap for the past three seasons.

However, there is widespread belief they will once more struggle to get under the £7m limit this season.

The BBC has learned Saracens have been told to comply with the rules immediately or face relegation.

Even if they are relegated, what use is that to a team like Munster, relying on its Academy players in the European competition. Eliminated, do not pass Go, do not collect £200. We have a 20 year old academy player at 10, because we don’t have 7 million pounds to throw to winning at all costs. Shamateurism has come full circle.

Cheating, is cheating. However you wish to dress it up.

Racing Métro 92 is an other All Star outfit. Their stadium gets to choose what images they show to the TMO. While Wayne Barnes came across as confident that Teddy Thomas was, both on side for the pass, and having not grounded on the dead ball line. It would have been nice to see the reverse angle, from the camera 5 meters from the grounding. The very fact the French TV refused categorically to show the images, lets us imagine those images showed the try was not valid. ( Otherwise they’d have been happy to show them to the TMO, right?)

Forget about Munster’s elimination, for the moment. The final will take place in France, and there people will choose to provide images to the TMO, or not. As suits them. Get away!

Their sound man gets to play loud music to drown out the Munster travelling support when he chooses. Sorry, Munster’s up the jumper rugby may not be what TV audiences want to pay for, but when the only way to way to win, is to deny possession to the opposition, then that’s where the smart money is.

Nobody is asking for preferential treatment, just a level playing field, that’s all. And Wayne Barnes rolled over far too quickly, on this thorny issue. How about “ Excuse me, if I wish to see the reverse angle, you will comply, or face a Hefty fine from EPCR.”

Last edited:

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I assume you have some facts to back your claims up.

Funny how you turn YOUR thread about Saracens into a moan about Munster being cheated out of the cup.

"Saracens blah" Racing cheated Munster out of it Blah Blah Blah Blah, Let's not make this about Munster. Munster Munster Munster Blah Blah Blah.

A bit of self awareness please.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Back to the story. I hope Saracens are dealt with on the facts by people who have all the facts at hand to make a fair call.

That said I'm not sure what relegation will achieve. Other than creating a lot of miss-matches next season.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
AIUI the problem is mathematical , as they average over a contract

So an example .. a player is paid £1m over four years. Regardless of when the payments are made, this counts as £250k per season

Let's say it's now year four, and player has already received a £200k bonus and 3x£200k salary for years one to three

Even if they renegotiated the contract and paid him nothing in year four, year 4 would still be counted as £200k , as that is the average over four years..

So it's actually quite hard to reduce your spending

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
That said I'm not sure what relegation will achieve. Other than creating a lot of miss-matches next season.

assuming the maintain their player base etc - but yes indeed. entirely this.

didds

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

Currently the 12 club premiership is owned by 13 clubs. Awks

O
.. everything would be lot easier if one of them happened to collapse completely..

L'irlandais

Post Likes
[LAWS]The dismantling of the squad will start immediately. It's understood a handful of players will leave the club at the end of January.[/LAWS]
Saracens Q&A: What is going on and what does relegation mean?

That answers the question of European Rugby involvement next season too.
Can Saracens play in next season's Champions Cup?

As it stands, no. While the winners of the Champions Cup qualify for next season's tournament - and Saracens are still in contention - European organisers have confirmed to the BBC that only teams from the Premiership, Top 14 and Pro14 are eligible to play in European competitions. The only exceptions are the teams from emerging nations who play in the Challenge Cup.

The repercussions will be felt beyond the club.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
There must be a high chance that the club collapses entirely

L'irlandais

Post Likes
Here in France, Club Athlétique Brive Corrèze Limousin (CA Brive, for short) were relegated to the second division back in 2000, and again in 2012. Although both times they have sportingly made it straight back to the Top flight, they are certainly no longer a powerhouse. Partly due to the loss of major sponsorship deals as soon as your TV presence dips. Once the money is gone, the star studded squad, will soon jump ship.

Such is the nature of Professional sport, it’s not like a family, where people stick together no matter what.

Last edited:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
What about redistribution of their titles a la Lance Armstrong?

Although I think LA was stripped of them and no one else was given them in the case of the TdF

Last edited:

colesy

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
They may not be able to come straight back up. Promoted teams have to prove they’ve adhered to Premiership salary regulations for the past 2 seasons. Adherence for next season alone isn’t enough, they would have to have been compliant this season, which obviously they haven’t been.

L'irlandais

Post Likes
Winning the Champion’s Cup would put money in the War Chest. However a repeat the lack lustre first half showing against Racing 92 today, is unlikely to see them past Leinster in the QFs. A game of two halves. They’ll need their best 80 minutes to progress any further. Problems off the field are messing with their on field performances. That’s looks like inevitably locking them into a downward spiral, since when a club is winning, fans can be forgiving. When that winning streak ends...

Lions hopefuls won’t get anywhere by playing second division rugby in the Championship.

Last edited:

L'irlandais

Post Likes
Here in France, Club Athlétique Brive Corrèze Limousin (CA Brive, for short) were relegated to the second division back in 2000, and again in 2012. Although both times they have sportingly made it straight back to the Top flight, they are certainly no longer a powerhouse. Partly due to the loss of major sponsorship deals as soon as your TV presence dips. Once the money is gone, the star studded squad, will soon jump ship.

Such is the nature of Professional sport, it’s not like a family, where people stick together no matter what.

Saracens getting a drubbing (52 - 3) from Bristol in two years time?
The scandals that brought both clubs low, are not that dissimilar; namely Financial mismanagement.
Those players' futures are now a mess of confusion, of one-season loan deals or a strange sabbatical in the second tier against teams like Ealing, Ampthill and Jersey, and of what all that might mean for their places with England or the British and Irish Lions tour at the end of next season.

It is harder still on the staff who had nothing to do with the subterfuge and took no benefit from the inflated salaries enjoyed by the star players.

Last edited:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
You can have relegation or we'll have a good look at your books!

Erm …..relegation please.

WTF???

I hope them, their fezzes and their stupid finger wiggling enjoy their day out at Clifton Lane, Rotherham (in a couple of years)

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
You can have relegation or we'll have a good look at your books!

Erm …..relegation please.

WTF???

I hope them, their fezzes and the their stupid finger wiggling enjoy their day out at Clifton Lane, Rotherham.

I think they figured that if they opened their books, the result would still have been relegation ...

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I think they figured that if they opened their books, the result would still have been relegation ...

I was more surprised they got the choice rather than the fait accompli.