[TRC] SBW lack of HIA

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
One of the things I did not say in my earlier post was that I did not consider the missing of the incident to be deliberate - things like that happen. Indeed when our society discussed this a while ago the SRU folks who came showed a clip of a Glasgow game when I think it was the hooker had a head injury and that was not initially noticed until someone looked at his GPS trace and he was taken off.

However the problem for me is that some doctor has apparently come to the conclusion that there was no concussion in order for SBW to not require to go through the GRTP programme which would have ruled him out for the following week (which I know Ian thinks should have happened). Now I am not a clinician and not involved in assessing SBW, but I know enough about clinical liability to suggest that the doctor who made that decision needs to be on really sure grounds otherwise he could be referred to the authorities and was Dr Chapman. The other issue is that when head injuries are such a big thing, it seems to me that some very positive explanation of how that conclusion was reached (ie that there was no concussion) would be helpful for the game as a whole. It is much easier for a ref to say to a player with w head knock, sorry your game is over for the next 3 weeks if that is what happens in showbiz rugby or there are clear explanations of why it is apparently treated differently.

Paule23

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I think Pinky sums it up well. As Iain said, I do not doubt the integrity of the doctors concerned, they are experienced professionals with clear expertise and we must trust their judgement.

However, it is also clear that SBW suffered a concussive brain injury. If he was cleared to play the following week, I am sure the doctors in charge did everything they should have done, however normal rules would suggest the player would not play the following week, so it would be ideal if the decision making process to clear SBW to play was publicised, then there is no concerns over a lack of clarity over what went on and why he was declared fit.

Concussion should be very high profile with robust management at all levels of the game. If we see things that some people interpret as suspicious at the top of the game, how can we expect coaches and players at the lower end of the game to take this seriously?

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Dr Barry O'Driscoll was on the radio this morning:-

Concussion test

It was quite interesting and hopefully should take out the subjective element of the current testing regime - if it works.

I suppose it relies on a player being identified for testing which wasn't the case in SBW's case.

Last edited:

Thunderhorse1986

Referees in England
Post Likes
Dr Barry O'Driscoll was on the radio this morning:-

Concussion test

It was quite interesting and hopefully should take out the subjective element of the current testing regime - if it works.

I suppose it relies on a player being identified for testing which wasn't the case in SBW's case.

Or all players take the test immediately after the game regardless? If it is that simple as is being suggested it could be, then it could be very easily administered and reduce this risk massively...