Score information

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
It's near the end of the game and Blue are leading Red 19-15, but give a penalty away on their own 22, about 25m in from touch.

There's a scoreboard next to the pitch, presumably manned by a club volunteer unofficially, that clearly reads 17-15.

Do you alert Red (or both) that the scoreboard is incorrect? Is it their own problem for not keeping track and trusting a scoreboard? What do you say if the Red captain asks?

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
If Captain asks then I tell him what score I have and my score is the only one that matters!

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It's near the end of the game and Blue are leading Red 19-15, but give a penalty away on their own 22, about 25m in from touch.

There's a scoreboard next to the pitch, presumably manned by a club volunteer unofficially, that clearly reads 17-15.

Do you alert Red (or both) that the scoreboard is incorrect? Is it their own problem for not keeping track and trusting a scoreboard? What do you say if the Red captain asks?

I'd blow time off, confirm score with scoreboard operator, get it fixed.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I agree with Dickie , if you notice the scoreboard is wrong then blow time off, tell both captains..
(doubling checking your scorecard first!)

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Assuming no one's trying to go quick for the penalty, yes to above, time off and make sure everyone agrees and is on the same information

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Do you alert Red (or both) that the scoreboard is incorrect?

Yes, both. I agree with others.

It's their game remember, they should know if they are being fed wrong information.
There is no valid reason to withhold it, or not correct it.

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
This assumes you keep a running total. Many referees do not.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

I don't (I think its dangerous to do that, as one mistake means you are wrong for the rest of the game )

But in a close game players will ask me the score and I add it up for them.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Related question.....
If at the end of a game you have a score which both teams disagree with and both teams agree that the score should be x what do you do?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Related question.....
If at the end of a game you have a score which both teams disagree with and both teams agree that the score should be x what do you do?

go with x

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Related question.....

Prepare for your appearance in MOTM/DOTD

Clue .. you are not the MOTM

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Related question.....

Get together with both coaches and go through the game score by score.
I mark all missed kicks as well as successful ones on my card, so I can tell if I have forgotten to mark one down.

If at the end you still can't agree you as the referee have to make a decision, but the odd time it has happened the above process has highlighted where the discrepancy lies.

I also now use an App on my Apple watch to keep the score, alongside my card. I check the two against each other at downtime. The App gives a running total.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

I record twice, once on Apple Watch (shows me running score at a glance), and tally marks on scoresheet. When jogging back after a score I try to tally up the score to make sure both are consistent - mistakes do happen / only human etc

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I also now use an App on my Apple watch to keep the score, alongside my card. I check the two against each other at downtime. The App gives a running total.

Jinx!

Get together with both coaches and go through the game score by score.
I mark all missed kicks as well as successful ones on my card, so I can tell if I have forgotten to mark one down.

I like this idea though, will be stealing this one I think.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I record twice, once on Apple Watch (shows me running score at a glance), and tally marks on scoresheet. When jogging back after a score I try to tally up the score to make sure both are consistent - mistakes do happen / only human etc

Jogging back after a score. You're not a proper L9 referee. :)