Scot v Eng Kick out of SH hands

AlanT

Referees in England
Post Likes
Scottish player takes ball out of ruck under the England posts. Ball then in hand about a foot off the ground. England [onside] player kicks ball out of Scottish player's hands.

Penalty to Scotland?

Instead England win ball, go down field, Scottish player gets YC, England get 3 points and win.

Thoughts?

Skids

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Scottish player takes ball out of ruck under the England posts. Ball then in hand about a foot off the ground. England [onside] player kicks ball out of Scottish player's hands.

Penalty to Scotland?

Instead England win ball, go down field, Scottish player gets YC, England get 3 points and win.

Thoughts?

Yeaaaay........England win!

What? :confused:

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
I remember that striking me as odd when I saw it happen. maybe it wasn't quite a foot and I do remember the hands on/foot being almost simultaneous. I know for sure that it was not even close to dangerous.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I deleted the game last night. I was not paying 100% attention.

Any video?

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes

The Virginian

Doug McClure

I am neither of these.
I am a Scot living in Virginia. Although I say "y'all" a lot. And eat barbeque.
Maybe I AM a Virginian after all!

JohnP

Post Likes
OK didn't remember that but why would it be a penalty?
I ask partly because in our last game we had a try disallowed with the ball being kicked out of our players hands as he went over the line. I'd thought that wasn't allowed but didn't have time to ask the ref post game for clarification.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
OK didn't remember that but why would it be a penalty?
I ask partly because in our last game we had a try disallowed with the ball being kicked out of our players hands as he went over the line. I'd thought that wasn't allowed but didn't have time to ask the ref post game for clarification.

There is a specific law to cover that scenario:

Law 22.4
(e) Tackled near the goal line. If a player is tackled near to the opponents’ goal line so that
this player can immediately reach out and ground the ball on or over the goal line, a try is
scored.
(f) In this situation, defending players who are on their feet may legally prevent the try by
pulling the ball from the tackled player’s hands or arms, but must not kick the ball.

However there is no specific law to cover kicking the ball out of a players hands in other areas of play.

The question you would then have to ask yourself is "was it dangerous?".

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
The question you would then have to ask yourself is "was it dangerous?".

Also the circs, and who it is..

- I don't let them kick the ball out of the SH's hands as I think : allow it once and both teams will have plenty of opportunities to try and do the same thing again and again, which can be flashpoint, and likely to become dangerous, even if it wasn't particularly the first time.

in more open play it's a really one off, and it's unlikely to happen again, can be judged on its merits and what you saw.

but even if it wasn't dangerous, and you let it go, it's the sort of thing I might mention later, just say it is sailing close to the wind.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
It's a revolver, the 6-shot drum turns anti-clockwise, from shooter's pov, before firing, presenting the round to the top as the hammer cocks back, then firing. The chamber under the hammer will be empty. You can see two chambers empty on the right as you look, there is one chamber hidden right at the bottom.

You need to move your head to the left and see if there is glint of brass in either of the two chamber on the left from your pov - if there's nothing then you could be lucky.

Or I could be wrong.:)

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
You need to move your head to the left and see if there is glint of brass in either of the two chamber

Why would you see brass?
The head of the bullet will be lead, which isn't glinty.

So you're dead!