Scotland not 10 metres

Taffy

Referees in England
Post Likes
Today's match. Argentina get a penalty and take it quickly. None of the Scots that tackle are back ten. Wayne Barnes seems to totally miss it. Probably around the 66minute mark. This was the move that led to his daft comment and action about a "double movement" to disallow the potential try. Should have surely been a signal for "using hands on the floor".

I can can see someone from the sideline shouting in next week "double movement sir!"

Bit why no new penalty from WB?

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Today's match. Argentina get a penalty and take it quickly. None of the Scots that tackle are back ten. Wayne Barnes seems to totally miss it. Probably around the 66minute mark.

But why no new penalty from WB?

Sounds like he goofed or missed it.

OR his eyes were still sore from the "double rubbing" that he'd given them after he'd realised the Jocks points total ! ,

Crikey Fern Cotton certainly has given them some umpphh ......the last time 41 scottish points were on the board - Jockey Wilson occupied the oche :biggrin:

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
I had to work and was setting the recording device. I thought Scotland v Argentina would be a pretty dour game so didn't bother recording it.

How wrong a man can be...

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I had to work and was setting the recording device. I thought Scotland v Argentina would be a pretty dour game so didn't bother recording it. How wrong a man can be...
My advice is record it anyway. If it's a crap game, you can always delete it.

One of the best games I saw last season was recorded by accident - I thought I'd recorded a different game. As it happened, the "wrong" game was one of the most exciting games I'd seen in years.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
his daft comment and action about a "double movement"

I didn't see the game but why do you think his comment was daft? Because it wasn't a "double movement" or you don't like the term "double movement"?

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
I didn't see the game but why do you think his comment was daft? Because it wasn't a "double movement" or you don't like the term "double movement"?

I don't like the term "double movement" probably because of the dominance of Rugby League over Rugby Union in Australia and people here tend to judge a player who is short of the line and who then reaches out to ground the ball on or over the line in Union as using an illegal action as it is in RL.
I use the term "2nd movement" if disallowing a try in RU. If questioned by a player, coach or spectator after the game, I can say to them that the tackled player's 1st movement/action must be to place, pass or push/release the ball. If he is near the goal line, he can reach forward to place the ball on or over the line but it must be his 1st action/movement. If he makes a 2nd movement in order to ground the ball on or over the line, he will be penalised for not releasing. The term "2nd movement" fits well with this explanation and avoids the confusion created by using the RL term "double movement".

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I'm OK with it. If I explain a penalty as a "double movement" everyone seems to understand the shorthand.

Although I do understand that a RL "double movement" is OK in RU.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I'm OK with it. If I explain a penalty as a "double movement" everyone seems to understand the shorthand.

Although I do understand that a RL "double movement" is OK in RU.

What about ...." Not continuous movement"
?

[LAWS]

Momentum try. If an attacking player with the ball is tackled short of the goal line but the player’s momentum carries the player in a continuous movement along the ground into the opponents’ in-goal, and the player is first to ground the ball, a try is scored.[/LAWS]

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
... because 'momentum' isn't what is described here. Player stopped short (momentum ended) must place the ball in one motion, immediately.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
... because 'momentum' isn't what is described here. Player stopped short (momentum ended) must place the ball in one motion, immediately.

This discusion has moved into finding a suitable wording for the act of "Double movement" or anything similar.

In attempting to distance himself from Rugbrawl League The Fat uses the expression "2nd movement" although this isn't a phrase associated with the IRB Law book. However my suggestion merely offers an opportunity to use existing IRB wording.

Instead of "no try - there was a 2nd movement" , Fat could say " no try - it wasn't a continuous movement" , not perfect I agree, but it has some alignment value IMO.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
a continuous movement

I'm not clear what this means.

Ball carrier is tackled short of goal line. Weighs up options: 1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi. Reaches out to ground ball in-goal. That's a try for me but I'm not sure I'd call it a "continuous movement".