Scotland Wales restart

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
[LAWS]6.A.4 (a)
The referee is the sole judge of fact and of Law during a match.[/LAWS]

that's not the issue here though.

If a referee makes an honest judgement that 80 mins have truely passed, depsite what it says on his watch then I'll go with that (perhaps he knows he forgot to stop the watch earlier)

We are talking about a referee (ie Blue Smartie!) who knows that really only 79:30 have passed, but decides to end the match anyway.

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
that's not the issue here though.

If a referee makes an honest judgement that 80 mins have truely passed, depsite what it says on his watch then I'll go with that (perhaps he knows he forgot to stop the watch earlier)

We are talking about a referee (ie Blue Smartie!) who knows that really only 79:30 have passed, but decides to end the match anyway.

I was answering a specific question:

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
What right have we to "play God"?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
OB do I understnad you properly? you are saying that it's all very well stipulating that when the clock says 10s to go, the restart will happen. What they need to cover is when the clock says (say) three minutes to go, can one team then proceed to waste a minute of that precious time by being slow to get ready for the kick.
Unless the kick has tied the game, only one team will have an incentive to take the restart quickly. If that team has the right to kick-off, I don't see why they should have to wait for their opponents to get their ducks in line. If the other team has the right to kick-off, I would point out that time wasting is an offence, which is down to the judgement/management of the referee. He can always stop the clock to sort out whatever is causing the delay.

That aspect probably needs sorting out regardless of any last minute scramble.

Does the automatic restart apply only to successful kicks?

Blue Smartie

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Jeez guys, I see that this has got to a few sorts but just think more practically for a second.

In my games, with the best will in the world, even the referee and the ARs can have different times on their watches (marginally and occasionally in those cases where someone has forgot to restart substantially). Some guys must be so hot on their watches (or reliant upon being sold judge) that their 80mins is inviolable.

This is not really a question about whether or not to play 80 mins but, with the time allowed for stoppages, it is really the difference between calling it a day at 83:40 and 83:50.

In that last play you Will do nothing to improve your performance and are just susceptible to making a poor call under pressure to hand the game to one team. Go get a shower instead and you won't have to read about yourself in the paper.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Jeez guys, I see that this has got to a few sorts but just think more practically for a second.

In my games, with the best will in the world, even the referee and the ARs can have different times on their watches (marginally and occasionally in those cases where someone has forgot to restart substantially). Some guys must be so hot on their watches (or reliant upon being sold judge) that their 80mins is inviolable.

This is not really a question about whether or not to play 80 mins but, with the time allowed for stoppages, it is really the difference between calling it a day at 83:40 and 83:50.

In that last play you Will do nothing to improve your performance and are just susceptible to making a poor call under pressure to hand the game to one team. Go get a shower instead and you won't have to read about yourself in the paper.

The location of 79.50-80.00 or 83.40-83.50 etc.. Isnt the issue.

Stoppage time is 'played' for a reason, its lost time being made up, in your example it's 10 seconds.
Actually you're admitting that you'd knowingly cut 10s from your watch as a "newspaper avoidance" strategy.....:wtf:

I'm quite surprised I'm reading this B.Smartie, really I am.

Maybe GJ had the same plan , ....... & that worked, 'not' !!

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
As I read it Pegleg (?) , you had a 'fixed' yet also 'variable' position on this subject match by match, & that you definately won't amend following this Law clarification.

That sounds like inconsistent application to me :confused:. Or have i misunderstood?

I'm not going to deny a side the chance to gain a win or draw or gain bonus points because it there are only a few seconds left. they have the right to score gain thoses points at any time in the game.

If a result and bonus points are settled there may be instances when it is appropriate to stop the game a few seconds early (equity trumping law). Those instances will be rare but they exist.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
[LAWS]6.A.4 (a)
The referee is the sole judge of fact and of Law during a match.[/LAWS]

I disagree that that law gives us the right to deliberately apply the laws incorrectly.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Does the automatic restart apply only to successful kicks?

No. Why would it?

Thinking further about Drop goals. There is a significant difference between them and PKs or Conversions. That being they are part of open play and not separate incidents. After a Whistle the PK is awarded. After a try a conversion is offered. With a DG the player choses that as a tactic as opposed to a pass / tactical kick or run etc. So it is probably fair to treat a DG differently to the other attempts at scoring from a kick.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
No. Why would it?

Thinking further about Drop goals. There is a significant difference between them and PKs or Conversions. That being they are part of open play and not separate incidents. After a Whistle the PK is awarded. After a try a conversion is offered. With a DG the player choses that as a tactic as opposed to a pass / tactical kick or run etc. So it is probably fair to treat a DG differently to the other attempts at scoring from a kick.
That was indeed my train of thought.

Rawling

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Why does this apply to a conversion kick at the posts, and a penalty kick to touch, but not a penalty kick at the posts?

Why does the time have to be taken from the point the ball is struck, making this a change in law, rather than the point the goal or lineout is awarded, which would just be a clarification? Or even the point the ball crosses the posts/lands in touch, which would be less of a change in law (and could then be consistent with kicks from hand)?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think it would be sensible to use the same approach for a kick at goal.
I agree it's not a clarification at all, but a change in the Law.