Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
..............and the referee got it wrong :redface:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think it's a shame that this is stated as a 'clarification' which seems to imply that GJ and his timekeeper got it wrong.

I think its a change in the Law, and should have been specified as that.
A sensible change though, much easier for teams and referee to manage and work to.

Last edited:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Ruling in Law by the Designated Members of the Rugby Committee

Ruling

1-2015

Union / HP Ref Manager

Joel Jutge

Law Reference

Date

23 February 2015

Request

Following controversy after the Scotland v Wales game regarding the decision by the referee to blow the whistle for the end of the match, we would like a clarification in Law.

I assume in this case we is/are Joel Jutge on behalf of his gang?

I can't recall the HP ref Manager asking for a clarification before - is that new?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
what I read from that link

* it IS a CLARIFICATION albeit an EXTENSION to the other criteria listed that wasn't included before. the inclusin however is in effect for the avoidance of doubt.

* i didn't realise there was a specific 7s law for this - but the 40 second mularky suggests the opportunity to decline a conversion isn't otherwise available in 7s. is that so? If not then why is it there?

didds

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think it's a shame that this is stated as a 'clarification' which seems to imply that GJ and his timekeeper got it wrong.

I think its a change in the Law, and should have been specified as that.
A sensible change though, much easier for teams and referee to manage and work to.
Agreed. It's a clarification that the law appearing in the law Book is not the law they want to apply.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
* i didn't realise there was a specific 7s law for this - but the 40 second mularky suggests the opportunity to decline a conversion isn't otherwise available in 7s. is that so? If not then why is it there?

didds

I don't think the Laws for 7s are exactly what they claim -- that's why they say Variation for Seven-a-side – in practice:

I think they are referring to Clarificaiotn 2 of 2014.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Does this now mean that if there is any time at all left on the clock after the conversion (eg 1 second) the referee must allow a restart?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Does this now mean that if there is any time at all left on the clock after the conversion (eg 1 second) the referee must allow a restart?

Yes, if boot strikes ball at 79:59 then restart to be taken

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
am I reading this correctly? kick to touch before time has elapsed means the lineout will take place - after full time?

Scenario 2
The same logic applies, i.e. as long as the penalty kick is taken before 80:00 then the lineout will take place and the match will end at the next stoppage within Law. Time is taken from the strike on the ball.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
am I reading this correctly? kick to touch before time has elapsed means the lineout will take place - after full time?

Scenario 2
The same logic applies, i.e. as long as the penalty kick is taken before 80:00 then the lineout will take place and the match will end at the next stoppage within Law. Time is taken from the strike on the ball.

yes, but that's no change -- once a line out is awarded then it always takes place even if time subsequently elapses.

[LAWS]5.7 (e) “If time expires and the ball is not dead, or an awarded scrum or lineout has not been completed, the referee allows play to continue until the next time that the ball becomes dead.[/LAWS]

The umpire

Referees in England
Post Likes
Wasn't that always the case? Just that it qasn't always applied. Wasn't that 'clarified' once before?

pedr

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Well, prior to this if a penalty kick to touch was kicked before full time, and time expired as the ball was in flight, before it went into touch, technically that would be full time, right? Now the time left when the ball leaves play again is irrelevant - if the kick was taken before time expired, the game isn't over.

I wonder if there'll be a similar level of attention to such decisions at the end of the first half. It seems that quite often half-time is called when there was a scrum awarded before 40 minutes, etc.

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
yes, my bad, I had it tied in knots in my head with the kick off issue.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Well, prior to this if a penalty kick to touch was kicked before full time, and time expired as the ball was in flight, before it went into touch, technically that would be full time, right? Now the time left when the ball leaves play again is irrelevant - if the kick was taken before time expired, the game isn't over.

I wonder if there'll be a similar level of attention to such decisions at the end of the first half. It seems that quite often half-time is called when there was a scrum awarded before 40 minutes, etc.

I would say it is illogigal not to apply the same resoning at the end of both halves.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Yes, if boot strikes ball at 79:59 then restart to be taken
My attention has been drawn to this
A restart will occur if the team scoring a try within the last minute (40 seconds in Sevens) takes the kick with time on the clock. The match will end at the next stoppage within Law. Time is taken from the strike on the ball. A time-out for substitution purposes will not affect this.[

http://officiating.worldrugby.org/?module=2&section=25&subsection=99&page=2162

Last edited by a moderator:

Blue Smartie

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
I guess there are two things to take away: (1) in most games (i.e. those without a timekeeper) make sure time expires before the try or conversion - little good will come for a referee who restarts because he still has 10 seconds left; and (2) you can't have a lineout following a penalty awarded in stoppage time - so again it might be appropriate to ensure that time has elapsed.