Select Grade
Thank you Jarrod, you said it for me.

belladonna

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
ScotlandsFirstTry.jpg

A still showing the position of blue 7 as the ball is being received by the jumper.

After re-readng law 18, I was left with a question - hasn't blue 7 illegally left the lineout?

• He must be in the straight line of players unless swapping with another lineout player, which he clearly isn't.
  • He can peel off the lineout if he keeps moving, but he's stopped.
  • And he can't move to the receiver position because it's already occupied.

To my reading, law 18.38 implies that leaving the lineout means leaving the single line of players, otherwise it would be meaningless.

[LAWS]18.10 Each team forms a single line parallel to and half a metre from the mark of touch on their side of the lineout between the five-metre and 15-metre lines.
[/LAWS]

[LAWS]18.17a Once the lineout is formed, players from the team throwing in may not leave the lineout other than to change positions with other participating players.
[/LAWS]

[LAWS]18.29d Once the lineout has commenced, any player in the lineout may leave the lineout so as to be in a position to receive the ball, provided they remain within 10 metres of the mark of touch and they keep moving until the lineout is over.
[/LAWS]

[LAWS]18.38 Other than by moving to the receiver position if that position is empty, no lineout player may leave the lineout until it has ended.[/LAWS]

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
View attachment 4268

A still showing the position of blue 7 as the ball is being received by the jumper.

After re-readng law 18, I was left with a question - hasn't blue 7 illegally left the lineout?

• He must be in the straight line of players unless swapping with another lineout player, which he clearly isn't.
  • He can peel off the lineout if he keeps moving, but he's stopped.
  • And he can't move to the receiver position because it's already occupied.

To my reading, law 18.38 implies that leaving the lineout means leaving the single line of players, otherwise it would be meaningless.

[LAWS]18.10 Each team forms a single line parallel to and half a metre from the mark of touch on their side of the lineout between the five-metre and 15-metre lines.
[/LAWS]

[LAWS]18.17a Once the lineout is formed, players from the team throwing in may not leave the lineout other than to change positions with other participating players.
[/LAWS]

[LAWS]18.29d Once the lineout has commenced, any player in the lineout may leave the lineout so as to be in a position to receive the ball, provided they remain within 10 metres of the mark of touch and they keep moving until the lineout is over.
[/LAWS]

[LAWS]18.38 Other than by moving to the receiver position if that position is empty, no lineout player may leave the lineout until it has ended.[/LAWS]

Does the line out commence immediately it has formed or when the ball is thrown in?

Anyway 18.38 gets my vote, penalty against blue, no try.

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
He's in a position to receive the ball, though. Does he clearly and obviously stop moving?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
He's in a position to receive the ball, though. Does he clearly and obviously stop moving?

did he move "so as to be in a position to receive the ball" ?

No, he moved so as to be in a position to charge into the maul

belladonna

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I'm wondering how to resolve the seeming contradiction between 18.29d and 18.38...
Would I be right in thinking that 18.29d only applies if there is not already a receiver as per 18.38?

[/LAWS]

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Isn’t 18.29d to allow the step out, shuffle , step back in moves? Else you’d have to ping every line out with a receiver?

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I have the same feelings about player leaving the LO to be in a position to get the ball in a Maul. But every single international team does it. So I have no issue with that part of it. Seems disingenuous to allow it if it doesn't lead to a try but to then go back and disallow a try because of it. The LO hasn't met any of the Criteria for it to be over.

I do agree that the pre-latching should've been pinged. But I believe that someone has advised that it's permitted at a line out.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
For me it’s just good old fashioned obstruction / offside , ball carrier ran forward into his own players, no different to when lifters step in front of the receiver when they lower him and start to set a maul, they are in front of the ball carrier so no dice. Penalty gold

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
For me it’s just good old fashioned obstruction / offside , ball carrier ran forward into his own players, no different to when lifters step in front of the receiver when they lower him and start to set a maul, they are in front of the ball carrier so no dice. Penalty gold

Referee on the day was very clear that the ball was still at the front at the moment of contact with opposition and was only transferred back after the maul had formed.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Its still a flying wedge - aside from the belief apparently amongst the lawmakers that it can only ever happen at a FK/PK apparently - presumably becasue only then is it dangerous for sopme bizarre reason

I appreciate I am in a minority of one here.

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Didds, I think the reason the FW is regarded as dangerous at a PK/FK is in part because the wedge can get up some momentum before the opposition can try and stop it as they ahve to beack 10m (or less if near the goal line) The situation with a driving maul is almost always a similar layout to a FW, the difference being that they are already engaged with the opposition.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Didds, I think the reason the FW is regarded as dangerous at a PK/FK is in part because the wedge can get up some momentum before the opposition can try and stop it as they ahve to beack 10m (or less if near the goal line) The situation with a driving maul is almost always a similar layout to a FW, the difference being that they are already engaged with the opposition.

They are 10m back at a lineout

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes

Except that isn't the case here. The lawmakers clearly never considered anything than a catch, land and drive on the catcher. Here we have an offload "within the lineout" to an undefended space, wedge in place moving forward. There is no meaningful defence immediately available until the wedge will have started to move, circa 5m out.

sco.jpg

I remain throughly unconvinced by the alleged reasoning (though appreciate your attempt to explain the law maker's thinking, made between the soup and fish course)

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Its still a flying wedge - aside from the belief apparently amongst the lawmakers that it can only ever happen at a FK/PK apparently - presumably becasue only then is it dangerous for sopme bizarre reason

I appreciate I am in a minority of one here.

The minority maybe but there's at least two of us

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Based on experience, extensive reading of laws and WR advice and output, (plus this forum) talking to higher level refs and watching numerous replays in slow motion, I thought it illegal on the day and still do. And, unusually, on this occasion I am not open to persuasion otherwise! :)
And I don’t care what anybody else think.:)
I think that makes my position as clear as I can. No splinters in my **** from fence sitting!

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
well I agree, because that's exactly what I am saying: to be legal you have to have a realistic intention / plan / opportunity of receiving the ball.

You must be leaving the line out SO AS to [..] receive the ball. (not to catch the oppo into an offence, or to push better at the maul)

So IMO #7 in the example wasn't legal as he had no intention or possibility of receiving the ball .

You are reluctant to say whether you think #7 was legal or not? whaddya think ?
The law does not say anything about intention. You are choosing to infer it .

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
The law does not say anything about intention. You are choosing to infer it .
sigh, ob- another one for you to look up!

The law says a player may "leave the lineout so as to be in a position to receive the ball,"

what does that mean?

it means with the intention to.
(and no it's NOT legalese! it's natural english)

https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/so+as+to

or - https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/so-as
or https://7esl.com/so-as-to
or really, any dictionary of your choice