Scottish Rugby Union

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
They were all previously EFTA members with solid economies that would helped to counterbalance the expected intake of weaker economies from expansion in central Europe. Scotland doesn't even have an (independent) economy.

Of course Scotland doesn't have an independent economy, it's part of a national union with 3 other countries. However, Scotland would have an independent economy if it was an independent nation. And that economy - based on Scotland's share of the total UK economy - would make it a very viable independent nation. Certainly a "safer bet" then the last 3 rounds of EU expansion.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Suspect you watch the English Premiership... (Where's the yawn smilie when one needs it?)

No. I can't get enthused about it and Harrison and Barnes get on my thruppenny bits. I tend to watch the S15 and the RL Super League. I like the Heineken Cup too although I have grit my teeth when Zippy and Bungle are commentating.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Of course Scotland doesn't have an independent economy, it's part of a national union with 3 other countries. However, Scotland would have an independent economy if it was an independent nation. And that economy - based on Scotland's share of the total UK economy - would make it a very viable independent nation. Certainly a "safer bet" then the last 3 rounds of EU expansion.
I'm just glad we do not now have to go through all the arguments that would have ensued over this.

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
The ERM - the precursor to joining the € - has been in existence since 1979 and has been superceded by ERM II - which is now the accepted precursor to joning the €. Currently only Denmark and Lithuania are in ERM II

Sweden still chooses to stay outside of the ERM and thus the eurozone and there's nothing the ECB or anyone in Europe can do about it. It's a decision for the country in question alone.

Lithuania adopts the Euro on 1 January 2015. All new states that have acceded to the EU since the Euro has been in existence have had to give a legally binding commitment, in their treaty of accession, to join the Euro once they fulfil the conditions (ie when their economy is strong enough). Only those who joined pre-Euro had the choice.

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Lithuania adopts the Euro on 1 January 2015. All new states that have acceded to the EU since the Euro has been in existence have had to give a legally binding commitment, in their treaty of accession, to join the Euro once they fulfil the conditions (ie when their economy is strong enough). Only those who joined pre-Euro had the choice.

Just to hammer the point home; Lithuania was the seventh of the A8 states to adopt the Euro. Only Poland of the A8 remains outside, but it is committed to join albeit with no definite timetable.

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

That entirely depends on how you share the UK economy. The Orkneys and Shetlands would of course have a very strong oil-based economy; Scotland less so...