[Scrum] Scrum half put in

Willehj

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Can the scrum half put in from either the tight head or loose head side of the scrum and can they change side during a match or are they fixed to the side of the first put in?

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Hello Willehj,
[LAWS]19.13
The scrum-half chooses which side of the scrum to throw in the ball.[/LAWS]The scrum half, can put in from either side and can change sides on the next scrum if he wishes. His hooker may have something to say about swopping sides wily nily, but not the ref.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
As stated...they can choose at each scrum but the defending 9 must go to the side chosen or drop back to the rest of the backs.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Hello Willehj,
[LAWS]19.13
The scrum-half chooses which side of the scrum to throw in the ball.[/LAWS]The scrum half, can put in from either side and can change sides on the next scrum if he wishes. His hooker may have something to say about swopping sides wily nily, but not the ref.

But then again in the cases of iuncontested scrums there may be tactical advamnatges to putting in on the tight head side - and the ball is guaranteed to be won, so no concerns regarding the hooking etc

didds

Willehj

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
thanks for all the input. Much clearer now.

Huw

MadRef77

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
But then again in the cases of iuncontested scrums there may be tactical advamnatges to putting in on the tight head side - and the ball is guaranteed to be won, so no concerns regarding the hooking etc

didds

I always wondered why it is not something we see more often. Probably at the levels you expect to regularly see uncontested scrums coaching usually doesn't reach this depth.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I always wondered why it is not something we see more often. Probably at the levels you expect to regularly see uncontested scrums coaching usually doesn't reach this depth.

yup. I agree.

If I could work it out I'm sure others can!

cheers

didds

RedCapRef

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
With uncontested scrums I often see the ref standing by the scrum half watching the put in why?
Go round to the blind side and watch the back lines for offside, opens up the field completely. You already know how the ball is going to come out.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
With uncontested scrums I often see the ref standing by the scrum half watching the put in why?
Go round to the blind side and watch the back lines for offside, opens up the field completely. You already know how the ball is going to come out.

Because all other scrum laws still apply?
The main thing you want to be watching for is no pushing and everyone maintaining their binds.

RedCapRef

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Because all other scrum laws still apply?
The main thing you want to be watching for is no pushing and everyone maintaining their binds.

True but that only needs a quick look, what is more material a slight crooked feed that has no bearing on the outcome or stopping the defending backs encroaching behind your back as they know what is going to happen to the ball. I just do not see the point in standing with your back to the active players watching the passive ones, when you can position yourself to have a much better view.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
True but that only needs a quick look, what is more material a slight crooked feed that has no bearing on the outcome or stopping the defending backs encroaching behind your back as they know what is going to happen to the ball. I just do not see the point in standing with your back to the active players watching the passive ones, when you can position yourself to have a much better view.

You should be watching the offsides whether its uncontested or contested?
If you have the defending backs behind you, then you are facing the wrong way? You should be facing them.

Start by watching the engagement, then the put in. Then (if the ball is won as expected) you can square your body up and step away and back from the scrum to widen your field of vision, facing towards the defenders. This also allows you to be in a good position to see the ball come to the back of the scrum. At this point I would expect the referee to be just behind the back foot and off to the side with a good field of view of the defending backs and anyone unbinding early from the scrum. You can also see the ball at the back in case the No8 or the SH knock it on while picking it up. This would apply to both contested and uncontested.

Last edited: