Scrum-half receiving ball at lineout

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
If the 9 stood 9.99m away and sprinted he would be 2m from the LOT when the ball was thrown. I do enjoy thinking inside the box ;)

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Womble - it depends when he starts his run and when the ball is thrown.

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Hopefully the players are good enough to get it right with a little practice :pepper:

Davet

Post Likes
OhhhKaaay...

So practice is - 9 stands 9.99m back and starts his run up. Hooker times his throw so that as the 9 approaches 2m away from the line the ball leaves his hands and the linout begins. The 9 - now travelling at speed - can get into the line in time to take a ball - or be a dummy for a long throw?

If he doesn't take the ball will he be in danger, down to momentum, of going through the line of touch and becoming offside before the ball is touched. If so would that offside be material?

Do our resident coaches like this notion? If he did take the ball then he would certainly be a threat, and likely to burst clear - though the lack of surprise may mean he is met with a pair of fat blokes standing in his way... so the dummy could be a good ploy... but offside problems as mentioned....?

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Yep, thats how it works, yes the 9 may be liable to penalty but if he were to run a curve behind the pod then he should be able to pick the space... the team may only be able to use it once or twice against the same opposition but that may be all it takes! 7s or 15 a side

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Agreed - though the main issue is that our intsructions from RFU via Society is that the ruling standsm- so that's what we do.

and those referees who joined a society after the secret email and who use the, um, Lawbook as the source of their Laws - they will ref this as per the Law as it is written.

If the RFU REALLY want to send an instruction to ignore certain Laws they should put in touchline magazine where everyone can see it (joke!)

Davet

Post Likes
Well - I guess they would say that refs should use the law book and the various iRB clarifications together - and the clarification clearly says that the move can only take place after the lineout has begun.

There is no change in wording since that ruling - merely that some of the words have been relocated, so no reason to assume that the clarification is not current law.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I guess the law numbers have changed since then ,anyone have a 2009 law book ?
Law 19.11 in 2009 was as follows:[LAWS]In general, a player not taking part in a lineout must stay at least 10 metres behind the line of touch, or on or behind that player’s goal line if that is nearer, until the lineout ends.
There are two exceptions to this:
[…. relates to a long throw]
Exception 2: The receiver may run into the gap and perform any of the actions available to any other player in the lineout. The receiver is liable to penalty for offences in the lineout as would be other players in the lineout.[/LAWS]
The IRB gave the following explanation of the subsequent changes:
Move 19.11 Exception 2 to 19.8 (i)
Delete remainder of 19.11 as it is incirpoorated into the new 19.15
19.15 PLAYER THROWING IN becomes 19.11

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Well - I guess they would say that refs should use the law book and the various iRB clarifications together - and the clarification clearly says that the move can only take place after the lineout has begun.

There is no change in wording since that ruling - merely that some of the words have been relocated, so no reason to assume that the clarification is not current law.

bu unless you also have a 2009 law book there's no way to know that.
If what you have is what's on the IRB website and book, you have
- a 2009 clarification that refers to 2009 laws, but says one thing
- a 2013 Law that says the opposite

sigh. Anyay I think we all agree it's no ideal.

manager

Post Likes
http://www.irblaws.com/index.php?law=19.8 go to 19.8 i and there is a little blue camera

hope this helps if you haven't found it.

Ah yes I see it now. Not quite the exact move. The one I meant was where the scrum half simply runs into the front of the lineout (assuming his own players have back-peddled taking the oppo with them) and receives the ball from the thrower. I didn't realise this would generate so much discussion but thanks to all!

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Ah he'd have to be pretty quick then! Can this actually be achieved?

pretty quick, why?

he's only 2.5m from the centre of the lineout so +
a] it the lineout isn't being 'contested' at the front ...[ie..players have drifted infield toward the 15m line]then a little 'unstraight' isn't likely 'material'
b] I can reach forward c.1m without moving my feet
c] Even I can shift forward 1.5m quicker than a ball that's lobbed 5m

go for it ...... all penalties AYORisk !

no charge for this coaching advise :smile:

Last edited:

Davet

Post Likes
Browner, if your trigger is the ball leaving the throwers hands then I bet you can't move that fast if you include reaction time. If you rehearse it and get the timing agreed so that you starting to move as the ball leaves the hand coincide then maybe. But chances are you'll fool the ref too.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
a] it the lineout isn't being 'contested' at the front ...[ie..players have drifted infield toward the 15m line]then a little 'unstraight' isn't likely 'material'
On the contrary it is obviously material if it is what allows you to get to the ball in time.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
hear hear for OB.

Of course its material if the oppo hasn't jumped. Maybe they haven't; jumped because they know the throw is rarely straight - so what's the point - better off having boots ion the floor to defend post squinty throw and catch and land.

didds

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Posts re McCaw try moved to existing discussion.