scrum half trip

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Merit table adult game

At a scrum the ball-winning scrum-half picks up the ball and takes a step to pass, as he does so the other scrum-half hooks a crafty foot around his ankle...

How would you manage that, how serious do you gauge it to be?

If you are reaching for a YC (?) does it make a difference that the offending scrum half already received a YC in the first half.

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Merit table adult game

At a scrum the ball-winning scrum-half picks up the ball and takes a step to pass, as he does so the other scrum-half hooks a crafty foot around his ankle...

How would you manage that, how serious do you gauge it to be?

If you are reaching for a YC (?) does it make a difference that the offending scrum half already received a YC in the first half.

Cynical foul; YC looks not unreasonable, but akcheral referees are better placed than me.

As a fan, however, if the action merited a YC, I'd be disappointed if the YC was withheld because of the player's previous misbehaviour. Absent any question of repeated offending (strictly so-called - ie within Law 10.3), I'd say that the incident should be looked at on its own merits, and if it deserves a YC, it gets one, even if that means the player's team goes down to 15 for the rest of the game.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Deliberate trip.......YC all day long.
Previous YC bears no relevance, treat each situation in isolation.

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Given your comments on YCing an U16 FB, I'm surprised that you are asking the question. As described, it is a very cynical act, on his immediate opponent. If you do not manage this successfully, you will have a future potential flare up.

The previous YC gives no room for leniency - he should be playing whiter than white on one YC. Indeed, if the first YC was for Foul Play, then he doesn't get the benefit of any borderline doubt.

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
*creeps his head over the wall*
would you:yellow: A knee to the chest in a maul?

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
YC for the scrum half trip initially mentioned. Cynical play and a stern bollocking as well.

Knee to the chest in the maul, deliberately? I'd be considering RC instead of yellow.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
From your description, clear YC and RC to follow.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I'm with the rest of the chorus.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
La la laaaa!

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6

No I'd RC it!

- - - Updated - - -

as for the OP,

he'd be getting another YC and a free upgrade to RC!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I don't know why, but in the moment of it, it never even occured to me it was a YC - perhaps because it was so subtle - it was a hook with the foot - not in any way a kick or a strike. I don't think anyone else on the field even saw it, the opposing scrum half still got the ball away cleanly and if he felt anything he didn't complain.

i gave a PK. But in retrospect I evidently missed a trick. Oh well.

Last edited:

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I don't know why, but in the moment of it, it never even occured to me it was a YC - perhaps because it was so subtle - it was a hook with the foot - not in any way a kick or a strike. I don't think anyone else on the field even saw it, the opposing scrum half still got the ball away cleanly and if he felt anything he didn't complain.

i gave a PK. But in retrospect I evidently missed a trick. Oh well.

I'm with you crossref, No YC ....its a cute practice (in the context of the hook attempt situation described) I'm cautioning the SH along the lines of " captain your SH won't get a second warning, make sure he understands!...OK?

Open field running /tripping is wholly different in my book.

This is akin to nudging/shoving/ leaning on/ locking arms/ late shove after ball passed/shirt pulling etc..all within the battle of the jappy chaps ....

The drift towards not using the ' referee bollocking' in favour of YC'itus for all relatively minor offences , isnt wise IMO, anyone who uses this low benchmark for a YC risks backing themselves into a card-fest corner if it happens in min 2 of a match

Last edited:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I'm with you crossref, No YC ....its a cute practice (in the context of the hook attempt situation described) I'm cautioning the SH along the lines of " captain your SH won't get a second warning, make sure he understands!...OK?

Open field running /tripping is wholly different in my book.

This is akin to nudging/shoving/ leaning on/ locking arms/ late shove after ball passed/shirt pulling etc..all within the battle of the jappy chaps ....

The drift towards not using the ' referee bollocking' in favour of YC'itus for all relatively minor offences , isnt wise IMO, anyone who uses this low benchmark for a YC risks backing themselves into a card-fest corner if it happens in min 2 of a match
So he gets away with it once per game?

A tripping action is not a standard part of the game so there is no need for it and no excuse for it. There is usually an attitude problem associated with it.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
As if a #9 would do something like that, he must have accidentally got his foot trapped between his opposite numbers legs. :biggrin:

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
As if a #9 would do something like that, he must have accidentally got his foot trapped between his opposite numbers legs. :biggrin:

Pardon me for naiveté; but that does invite the question of what his foot might have been doing there in the first place, to get trapped...but I of course defer to your superior knowledge of the SH's craft..

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Pardon me for naiveté; but that does invite the question of what his foot might have been doing there in the first place, to get trapped...but I of course defer to your superior knowledge of the SH's craft..

No doubt either he was too fast or the opposite number suddenly stopped or slowed down:biggrin:

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
So he gets away with it once per game?

A tripping action is not a standard part of the game so there is no need for it and no excuse for it. There is usually an attitude problem associated with it.

No OB, he doesn't get away with it ....its a PK against his side, a public caution against doing it or any similar sly behaviours again, and a message to all his teammates that the team offence count has started

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
No OB, he doesn't get away with it ....its a PK against his side, a public caution against doing it or any similar sly behaviours again, and a message to all his teammates that the team offence count has started
And it is worth trying again next game because he might well not get noticed.
It was deliberate cheating. Not pushing the boundaries, but knowingly stepping out side them.