Scrum in England v Ireland game

Taffy

Referees in England
Post Likes
Scrum in the last few minutes in Ireland 22. England put in. The scrum wheels and turns into a bit of a mess. To my view it looked like it had wheeled over 90 degrees, so should surely be put in to Ireland (which might have been significant). The French ref blew up and the scrum was reset with an England put in again. I couldn't see why this was, any thoughts?

I am full of sympathy as this is just the sort of situation which I am still not fast enough with as it takes my brain a while to work out what has gone on........but then the French guy is a slightly higher level than me!

:wales:

Fatboy_Ginge

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
The reset came because the scrum degenerated into a mess. It didn't wheel because England continued to drive straight, therefore it's reset with the continued England put in

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Jerome justified his England put-in to the reset by saying it had become unstable - so Fatboy Ginge is on the money. Whether that is correct or not is a different matter - it looked to me like a valid wheel justifying an Ireland put-in. And wasn't that the same scrum as had already been reset because the England prop took a bind Jerome considered illegal? Why wasn't that a PK?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
he did the subsequent scrum for binding.... what that may mean... dunno...

Healey hardly bound at all in the 1st half so why pick one bind and not another?

didds

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Both front rows have to go 90 - don't care what either back 5 do, and if one FR goes 90 and the other is still straight then the the ones who went 90 must have broken their bind.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
There as another scrum incident on the blind side of ref where the ball almost went through the scrum but hit the Ireland flankes arm and wen t back in.
It didn't seem intentional so in that case if you had seen it what would be the call?
Reset? or Penalty

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
There as another scrum incident on the blind side of ref where the ball almost went through the scrum but hit the Ireland flankes arm and wen t back in.
It didn't seem intentional so in that case if you had seen it what would be the call?
Reset? or Penalty
Intentional is obviously a FK if the ball was out, PK if it wasn't..
If it was not intentional I would reset. The danger with playing on is that it might have been "accidental on purpose", and you don't want to encourage that.