Scrum Law 19.28 - scrum half position - your advice please

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
See, I disagree with this. As a referee with many years experience I still get things wrong or may make a decision that a player may find difficult to understand/accept. Provided it is done in an approriate way (at the right time, with respect, not argumentative, etc) I'm quite happy to address/discuss any interpretation with the captain or relevant player during the game. (on more than 1 occasion the captain/player has convinced me :redface:)

Further, sometimes I'll make a decision that I'll know immediately will raise eyebrows. In such cases, I'll go to lengths to explain why I made the decision.

I suspect that the SH in the OP kept harping on the same issue, so the ref finally got sick of it.

I agree with this but there still has to be limits. I’ll explain my interpretation, tell them what I believe the law says, but if they keep complaining after that they are liable to be penalized. Even if I’m wrong at the time they have to adapt to my interpretation. You can’t have players continually challenging your decisions throughout the game when you’ve already explained your rationale.

there will be times as a referee you are wrong and players right, unfortunately for the players you have to accept the interpretation and adapt accordingly. Then politely discuss it over the beer you buy for the ref in the bar afterwards with the laws app and this forum open on your phone!

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
At National level I would be absolutely amazed if a referee gave a penalty for the scrum half standing at the back of the scrum instead of at the middle. At best its a management thing, not a penalty thing. i.e. tell the SH where to stand at the next scrum.

Just get the Captain to ask the referee at downtime if he could keep an eye on the SH not starting at the middle. Put the thought in his head, don't question his knowledge of the law.

I believe Phil that the penalty was against the scrum half for the manner in which he queried the matter of law.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I believe Phil that the penalty was against the scrum half for the manner in which he queried the matter of law.

You know you're in for a noisy game when the Captain is the Scrum Half. :rolleyes:

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
You know you're in for a noisy game when the Captain is the Scrum Half. :rolleyes:

You know you're in for a noisy game if there is a scrum half on the pitch....as for 2 of them!!!

Blindpugh

Referees in England
Post Likes
At National level I would be absolutely amazed if a referee gave a penalty for the scrum half standing at the back of the scrum instead of at the middle. At best its a management thing, not a penalty thing. i.e. tell the SH where to stand at the next scrum.

Just get the Captain to ask the referee at downtime if he could keep an eye on the SH not starting at the middle. Put the thought in his head, don't question his knowledge of the law.

Thanks Phil,

Last edited:

Blindpugh

Referees in England
Post Likes
This has been quite a good thread.

I have re calibrated my view of how material this can be (ie I consider it more material than I did before )

I agree and thank everyone for their contributions (whether we agree or disagree). :clap:

Have a great 2020.