Season-long ankle injury fitness options

shnipvanwinkel

Referees in Denmark
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Hey all,

I am looking for the wisdom of the collective to help me to come up with a regimen for fitness whilst I nurse a distorted ankle. I am not allowed to run, jump or jog (anything which would put a shock through the ankle), and have been swimming and using an exercise bike/crosstrainer, but I'm not used to what goals I should be aiming for with this.

Can anyone help?

Cheers!

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Surely your Physiotherapist or other medical professional is where you need to direct that question!

Personally I use a rowing machine which I find good and doesn't over stress my Old knees and ankles(and everything else! ) when used properly.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I would suggest that you look at HILIT training. Get yourself to a gym and find a good PT. Either that or go to your local Rugby Club and see if they know (or have) a good S&C coach who can work with you.

The hardest part is going to be keeping the Cardio Fitness and recovery.

Whilst your recovery/rehab is happening may I suggest that you either engage on an Match Official Assessor Course or shadow some more experienced referees to observe so that your learning continues.

DM me if you need any more information/pointers.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Surely your Physiotherapist or other medical professional is where you need to direct that question!

This in spades!

I would also talk to your Society and / or the Danish Rugby Union they will, I am sure be able to help.

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
You need a physio to guide. I’ve been told swimming, cycling and cross training. Start with static movements (I.e. sauats) then onto dynamic (lunges). Push yourself to muscle fatigue but not so far that is causes pain in your ankle. Don’t neglect muscles around the knee and hip as the leg all works together and strong quads, glutes and hip flexors will help the ankle.

best wishes with the recovery

DocMatt

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Hey all,

I am looking for the wisdom of the collective to help me to come up with a regimen for fitness whilst I nurse a distorted ankle. I am not allowed to run, jump or jog (anything which would put a shock through the ankle), and have been swimming and using an exercise bike/crosstrainer, but I'm not used to what goals I should be aiming for with this.

Can anyone help?

Cheers!

This goes back to more of my triathlon days but pool running would be a great solution. There are many studies that support pool running as an effective means to maintain fitness during low body injury. Since you are already going to the pool I would instead of doing laps, put on a flotation belt (the ones you see people wearing for water aerobics/fitness).

There is a right and wrong way to do this. The most effective is to stride like you would normally on the pitch with a slight reach of your front foot. Also swing your arms like you are running in synchronicity with your legs. After a few minutes you should be able to develop a good tempo. Now the trick is to beat the boring pool running so set up a bit of an obstacle course, and pool run from marker to marker (or pool edge to pool edge). Pool running will feel like you are in slow motion...you move very slowly so by increasing the rhythmic and cyclic action of your arms, you can speed you legs up. You will actually burn more calories as you are against the resistance of the water.

The water will also be good for the actual injury site placing zero stress on it. You will sweat a lot and not notice so be sure to continue to sip on water during the process (keep a water bottle on the pool ledge).

With high performance athletes, I have them undergo a dynamic warm up as their main set. So I have them do the same movement patterns as say a track athlete warming up. A skips, B skips, etc etc. Its a great way to improve running dynamics because you are completely aware of your movement patterns.

You can offset de-conditioning by many weeks by pool running. Good luck with the recovery!