Seat-belt tackle now legal?

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Just watching Leicester Quins where the commentary team made a big thing about the seat belt tackle no longer being a penalty offence.
Can someone please point me.at the clarification in law or guidelines as I must have missed.a refs meeting where this was discussed.
From the commentary, 'the arm now has to touch the head or.neck for.it to be deemed illegal'

Sounds like a good idea , just need to make sure I'm not PK ing the wrong types of tackle

Thanks in advance.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Just watching Leicester Quins where the commentary team made a big thing about the seat belt tackle no longer being a penalty offence.
Can someone please point me.at the clarification in law or guidelines as I must have missed.a refs meeting where this was discussed.
From the commentary, 'the arm now has to touch the head or.neck for.it to be deemed illegal'

Sounds like a good idea , just need to make sure I'm not PK ing the wrong types of tackle

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like commentator bull to me, I certainly see them often ignored, especially around the try line, in the elite game

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I’ve heard nothing about this. I gave three penalties yesterday for just this sort of tackle. I’ll continue to penalise it until WR issue an edict to say not to.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
seems reasonable. i wouldn't be comfortable making decisions on the basis of "well Austin Healey said it was right".

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
It's in the Elite level guidelines, no?

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7

Thanks in advance.

Matt Carney penalised exactly this type of tackle in the previous week, Bath v Chiefs 74th minute or thereabouts, stating "over the shoulder as tackle completed, no more than a penalty". Which is exactly as we would expect, I suggest.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
a few weeks ago in teh autumn internationals one game, early KO (scotland) had many seat belt tackle PKs awarded/advantage played over.

the following game (Ireland?) had three seat belt tackles in the first ten minutes, none of which were awarded/advantage played.

Id suspect that its an individual referee thing rather than some sudden change of policy across the board

??????

didds

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
Interestingly I watched a game this weekend where there was only one high tackle PK awarded (I agreed with this number). It would seem the message is getting through, so it would be a shame if TV rugby played to a different interpretation.

Another instance of TV rugby running the Laws rather than the grass roots where the vast majority of folk play and enjoy themselves?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Interestingly I watched a game this weekend where there was only one high tackle PK awarded (I agreed with this number). It would seem the message is getting through, so it would be a shame if TV rugby played to a different interpretation.

Another instance of TV rugby running the Laws rather than the grass roots where the vast majority of folk play and enjoy themselves?

I agree, my imprerssion is that high tackles have been all but eliminated at grassroots -- the few PKs I have to give are normally PK only level, where arms have ridden up, or ball carrier dropped height etc. Haven't needed a YC for a while

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I agree, my imprerssion is that high tackles have been all but eliminated at grassroots -- the few PKs I have to give are normally PK only level, where arms have ridden up, or ball carrier dropped height etc. Haven't needed a YC for a while

You clearly don't have any army bases near you that supply South Sea Island players to local teams!

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6

:biggrin:

As per PhilE - you need an appointment to Yorkshire 3 - eg Castleford v Knottingley (have a look on a map).
Awareness raised - yes.
Acceptance - grudgingly (sometimes)
Eliminated - no way! :)

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
You clearly don't have any army bases near you that supply South Sea Island players to local teams!

I RC'd a kid a few weeks ago for Contact with Head who was playing his first game back after the same offence! :)

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
:biggrin:

As per PhilE - you need an appointment to Yorkshire 3 - eg Castleford v Knottingley (have a look on a map).
Awareness raised - yes.
Acceptance - grudgingly (sometimes)
Eliminated - no way! :)

I think I win.

A lot of Pasifika players. Who are Leaguies...

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
USAR specifically call out the seat-belt tackle in their game management guidelines as foul play. The entry level sanction for "low force" is a PK.
This past season I've only seen them used when trying to hold up a player not stopping them and none drifted into high tackle territory.

Just to add to some of the other comments - I have seen less high tackles this season, but still having to penalize shoulder charges and charging into the ruck.

Dave Elliott

Administrator
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Ladies games I have seen a lot of seatbelt tackles, but no other high tackles. Men’s is more bad timing or angle, where they are aiming for chest/ball but hit neck head area and fall fowl of the card!!