[Tackle] Seat belt tackle Yes or No

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I don't allow it any longer - by definition it goes over the level of the shoulders and is therefore high. Why do tacklers do it? Because it is easier to pull down a ball carrier than going around e.g. their torso, therefore should not be condoned.

Normally it is not dangerous, unless the tackler's arm starts to make contact with force to the neck area (trying to get away from the argument that proximity is contact!).

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I might see that as one he perhaps missed rather than as a tackle he allowed.

A recent thread had NO call, "on the shoulder" as a response to a cry for the high tackle.

I suspect, had they cried for it in this situation, he would have had to have a thought and given it. He couldn't really have designated it, on the shoulder or, unavoidable because MB was already going to ground.

I think he would have certainly clarified in that instance. It's his style I think.

VM75

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Contact the neck or above = YC [unless deemed accidental - rarely]
Don't contact the neck = treading a fine line & was lucky not to have contacted the neck !

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
In the Leicester game on Saturday the ref (Tempo) called a seatbelt tackle. He actually used those words, which is the first time I have heard a Premiership Referee use them.
Penalty only. I think he said something like seatbelt tackle, no contact with the neck. So it was deemed high.

I may have to bring this up at the next society meeting.