SH pulling the ball with their hands in a long ruck

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
So if a SH steps in front of the back foot they are offside.
Applying that law would solve all of the issues associated with caterpillar rucks.
No new laws or guidance required just have the elite refs apply the laws and we would have a much cleaner and simpler game....just saying
I could see this working - for one penalty, after which the first player in the caterpillar rucks the ball back under them to player 2, to 3, etc. until SH has access. Slows it down but doesn’t get rid of that damn tactical abomination.

Perhaps another way to kill the caterpillar is to define the ball as in the ruck when under a player bound to an opposing player or to the original ball carrier on the floor. That way there is no benefit to a caterpillar as the moment the player bound to BC or opponent rolls the ball back it’s ruck over.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
If I see a scrum half palming the ball back to get it out of a caterpillar ruck I won't ping him but I will call use it and they have 5 seconds, not the 10 that they seem to be allowed in the elite game!

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
The only time I would allow a SH to handle the ball is if he has to dig it out from under legs or bodies, and I would not allow him to put it down, but would allow him time to kick or pass unmolested assuming he does so right away. If someone wants to roll the ball back to make room for a box kick, they have to do it with their feet.