Short documentaries on refereeing in North America

Pablo

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Jeez, that was depressing. Rugby's certainly not perfect, but watching that documentary makes it clear how much more we respect the referee than most other sports.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Interesting watching. Glad I can't skate!

Pablo

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Interesting watching. Glad I can't skate!

I can skate, and actually qualified as an ice hockey referee at the same time that I did the rugby course (about 18 years ago). I often joked with people that I focused on rugby because "they're better behaved", but this video really underscored the differences!

(In truth, I focused on rugby because... well, there's just more of it in the UK!)

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
From the side lines it is different. You hear the abuse and you also hear what the referee said, which the spectators don't. I had a clear case of that when a scrum over the far side of the field suddenly wheeled, and then the scrum half (on the far side of the scrum) then ran off with the ball. A spectator behind me got furious that referee had not reset the scrum. "Doesn't he know what a right angle is?!!!"

The game ended not long after that and he was still going on about it so I told him what had happened. The ball had come out of the far side of the scrum before the wheel. The referee shouted "Ball out", which is probably why the wheel happened. He didn't want to believe it, but could not prove otherwise and went away muttering to himself.

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Recruiting younger officials and retaining them at the high school level (80% of younger officials walk within 2 years) is an issue, and it's having a material impact on games. There's countless stories of ADs unable to schedule JV/FS games, and game times having to get moved a day earlier or later so there are officials to cover. ADs in my hometown (est. pop ~72k) are having to bring in officials from larger towns 30-45 minutes away because of a lack of numbers.

I did my time umpiring baseball/softball from 2006-11, including one year where I was in charge of assigning umpires to games across six age groups. I tossed one parent across those six seasons, and was lucky that I didn't drive to the fields.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
e and went away muttering to himself.

they always do

by ten o'clock hes by then phoned the RFU for a ruling that suppoprts his version of walter mitty land.

didds