shot clock this weeekend

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I wonder if it could actually slow down the game - as it will allow kickers to much more easily take their full allotted time? (where they want to)

Expect to see plenty of instances where boot strikes the ball just as the timer reaches 1s to go.

Indeed I can't see any reason why the clock will make any kick faster. Only the same (no difference) or slower

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Depends on the intended goals, if it's to speed the game up then you could well be right, not an issue to be solved here. If however it's add a little more tech / excitement / spectator interaction then it could be part of a bigger picture to make the game more interesting (too much "what's going on" time for me)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
The Premiership has announced plans to test new shot-clock technology for the first time this weekend, as the league trials World Rugby’s latest measure aimed at speeding up the game.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
A gimmick that serves little purpose in the game. Still "Sky" will like it. Ipredict the first referee to disallow a kick because of the shot clock will be accused of "making alll about him(her)".

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
and the shot clock merely creates a physqical manifestation of what the law alreadys ays

Mipper

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Worth ‘testing’ though isn’t it?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
If the clock runs out before the kick will we get a big "Wap Wap Wap Waaaaaaaa" noise, or maybe a Family Fortunes wrong answer sound!

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Worth ‘testing’ though isn’t it?
of course.

Though it rather questions why it isn't being implemented as the laws stand already.
Rhetorical question - I know the answer to that one already.

Mipper

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
To be honest, I have enough trouble keeping up with the multiple yellow cards, countless injury stoppages, to be too fussed about timing the kicks. I would welcome a shot clock at my games, but I’m usually lucky to get a full set of flags at most grounds 😂

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
of course no one will ever exceed the time on the clock -- that's the whole point of having a big shot clock

(apart from, of course, when we have a timing cock up the referee considering that the clock should be paused for some reason, but the message not getting through to the clock operator)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
To be honest, I have enough trouble keeping up with the multiple yellow cards, countless injury stoppages, to be too fussed about timing the kicks. I would welcome a shot clock at my games, but I’m usually lucky to get a full set of flags at most grounds 😂
same for me. I have never timed out out a kick but if necessary might have time off

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I think this all came about because of a number of top level kicks were checked after the game and exceeding the limit, suggesting top level refs were ignoring the time limit.

The shot clock is to be managed by the timekeeper, so does he start it automatically when the try is signalled by the ref? Or does the ref tell him when to start it? What's the exact moment to start it when kicking a PK for goal, is it when the ref signals towards the posts?

I am working Saturday at Tigers v Northampton, so will be interesting to see if it's used and how. I know the timekeepers there (they are in the adjoining room to where I sit) so will have a chat pre-match.

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
If the clock runs out before the kick will we get a big "Wap Wap Wap Waaaaaaaa" noise, or maybe a Family Fortunes wrong answer sound!
I'm a fan of the Countdown clock

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I have one on my Watch app. It vibrates if it goes over time. Not happened to me yet.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Why not just time off when a try is scored and time on when the oppos restart?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Why not just time off when a try is scored and time on when the oppos restart?
there is a lot of concern about the growing elapsed time of a rugby match (as well as too-short ball-in-play time)
- time when the clock is stopped is boring for everyone, and prolongs the elapsed time
- unpredictable elapsed times are difficult for TV schedules.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I think this all came about because of a number of top level kicks were checked after the game and exceeding the limit, suggesting top level refs were ignoring the time limit.

The shot clock is to be managed by the timekeeper,
... so why doesnt the time keeper already run a stopwatch on kicks as they are and just advise the ref via comms "30 seocxnds to go... 15 seconds to go... 5.... TIME OUT"

???
This is a "new" thing that is meaningless at community level anyway, as the ref will be the only person "with authority" so if he chooses not to time a kick then nobody knows anyway