Current Referee grade:
Level 8
PRL clocks count down.
Heineken Cup clocks count up.

Go figure.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
We know a game should be 2 halves of 40 mins therefore easy to see how far the game has progressed. Spectators especially on TV will unlikely record the time the offender is invited to take a rest so in game elapsed time it would be difficult to track whereas counting down keeps a record. Always gets interesting when 2 or 3 players are cooling off.
both clocks stopped and started. I can't see any reason why one would go up and the other down

Locke

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
I set all the game timers on my watch (halves, YCs) to count down with the exception of one real-time counter that goes up from first whistle and doesn’t stop at all. I use it as a back up and to help gauge how long the half/game is running in total time.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
where their SCs in the 6N games at the w/e? I only saw EvS and didnt notice it.

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
both clocks stopped and started. I can't see any reason why one would go up and the other down
I think you misinterpreted!

We know a game is 2*40 mins therefore counting up is easy but who from the public or maybe even the team coaches etc record the time a card was issued? It's much easier to say how long left, in fact that is the question frequently asked therefore displaying the time remaining on the card is an reference for players and team officials to manage the players.

Ireland v France match clock going up card clock counting down all looks good to me:
20230211_145059_016.jpg

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
The YC clock could just as easily count from 0 to 10 though

I think you misinterpreted!

We know a game is 2*40 mins therefore counting up is easy but who from the public or maybe even the team coaches etc record the time a card was issued? It's much easier to say how long left, in fact that is the question frequently asked therefore displaying the time remaining on the card is an reference for players and team officials to manage the players.

Ireland v France match clock going up card clock counting down all looks good to me:
View attachment 4526

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Bud MSc
Also 35+ years, prop and hooker;)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I do like the countdown on YC and how the bar slowly gets smaller too. Nice visual guide when you’re too far from the screen to make out the numbers.
Yes, I would have both clocks counting down to zero

Second choice : have them both counting up

Last edited:

number11

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
If the TK clock counts down, it would naturally go into negative time at the end of each half. I would think that TV count up so that when it goes past 80 mins it's the easiest for all spectators to understand.

It now changes colour to red after 80 minutes, to emphasise the change.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
If the TK clock counts down, it would naturally go into negative time at the end of each half. I would think that TV count up so that when it goes past 80 mins it's the easiest for all spectators to understand.

It now changes colour to red after 80 minutes, to emphasise the change.
But The YC clock has the same problem.. but they count down on that one..

(They just stop when they get to zero so we don't see how much time the player is actually off the pitch for )

As I said : no logic to it

number11

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
It might be that although the official clock is (almost certainly) connected to the TV's clock, I doubt that the sin bin clock is. I wouldn't be surprised that it's an unofficial timer for TV only, and not referred to by the officials when returning the player to the field.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
It might be that although the official clock is (almost certainly) connected to the TV's clock, I doubt that the sin bin clock is. I wouldn't be surprised that it's an unofficial timer for TV only, and not referred to by the officials when returning the player to the field.
Well, it's connected in the sense that the two clocks stop and start in sync

But regardless of how it's operated, no logic in having one count up and the other count down

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
(They just stop when they get to zero so we don't see how much time the player is actually off the pitch for )
I’ve wondered why we make them wait rather than saying they can rejoin from their dead ball line once their 10 mins are up.

At the grassroots I can understand that they need our nod to rejoin as we’re often the time keepers. But, when we have extra staff or officials to help with substitutes why can’t we give the option to either wait for the ref to call you on from the naughty chair, or allow them to run back and join from the dead ball line once the official confirms the 10 is up?