shot clock this weeekend

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
There's no logical reason to have them all the same. They count different things, with different end conditions. It's only your personal taste that everything be aligned.
I think we have eventually arrived at some logic

Count downs to zero have the advantage that they don't require any prior knowledge of how long they are counting to.

but Count downs upwards have the advantage that where the time can exceed the maximum they can go red and keep going, to show everyone how much 'overtime' has happened.

Given those
- a shot clock should count down (length could be 60 or 90, can't go over time)

- but YC and Game clocks should count up (as both cards and halves continue indefinitely until the next stoppage)

The reason YC counters often go down is likely that people forget that the card period continues until a stoppage and always lasts longer than 10min

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I see we're stuck in a time warp again, can I get out on the next stoppage after the clock has counted down to zero please.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
as far as I'm aware the sin bin clock was first initiated into the HSBC 7s events where everything counts down. Maybe its a carry over from that. It created a technical issue when a YC was issued with a minute to go in the half, as the game clock stopped at zero even as the game went on, which (problematically) made the sin bin clock stop too.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
as far as I'm aware the sin bin clock was first initiated into the HSBC 7s events where everything counts down. Maybe its a carry over from that. It created a technical issue when a YC was issued with a minute to go in the half, as the game clock stopped at zero even as the game went on, which (problematically) made the sin bin clock stop too.
Clocks are more important than people realise

Anyone remember the 100 minute game?

A problem revealed then was that after 80m they never stop the game clock (don't need to as makes no difference to ending the game)

But this meant that they never stopped the YC clock either and so two players returned to the game much earlier than they should have done. IIRC one player served only about 5min of playing time

Not sure if they have even fixed that?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
BT Sport
Game clock counts upwards
No card clock
No shot clock (even though there is one in the ground)