Should Refs Only Wear Black Shorts?

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
If an assessor marked me down for the colour of my kit. I'd be walking out and filing a complaint about him.
I’m in trouble then!?

Our local refs do have to wear certain colours - they have sponsors logos on them so local ‘assessors’ are expected to at least make a comment if they are not wearing one of our shirts. We also have society socks and shorts with logos on so the ref is expected to wear them also. Corporate image and all that. Probationary refs are exempt and don’t get their kit until they’ve done their probationary period/games. We do tend to give some kit to our refs as part of sponsorship arrangements which I realise other societies are unable to do so can understand if a ref is peeved about being picked up about his dress. I’d certainly make a comment if a ref’s kit was dirty or shabby but probably not the colour unless there was some sort of clash with the teams.

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I’m in trouble then!?

I’d certainly make a comment if … there was some sort of clash with the teams.
one of the reasons I wear black shorts is that they go with the eye-destroying fluorescent yellow society top, but also with the back-up shirts I have in my bag (plain red and plain white) on the off-chance that I have a team equally day-glo (not been an issue yet, and I always make a point to check the teams’ colors before the day…)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I’m in trouble then!?

Our local refs do have to wear certain colours - they have sponsors logos on them so local ‘assessors’ are expected to at least make a comment if they are not wearing one of our shirts. We also have society socks and shorts with logos on so the ref is expected to wear them also. Corporate image and all that. Probationary refs are exempt and don’t get their kit until they’ve done their probationary period/games. We do tend to give some kit to our refs as part of sponsorship arrangements which I realise other societies are unable to do so can understand if a ref is peeved about being picked up about his dress. I’d certainly make a comment if a ref’s kit was dirty or shabby but probably not the colour unless there was some sort of clash with the teams.
the society socks fall down :-(

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I’m in trouble then!?

A big difference between official kit and just the colour of the shorts. Yes, official kit, washed and ironed, not colour clashes etc should be taken as read.

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
In the Netherlands the standard ref kit has white shorts. I don't even have a black pair, only navy as reserve.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Our shorts in GOC are navy blue or black depending which shirt you're trying to accessorise with, along with black, green or navy socks ditto.

It all looks quite smart, however at £60 for one set of full kit I shall wear my old stuff as the sponsors haven't changed. In my case a Samarai shirt in yellow/green reversible, navy Samurai shorts (nylon not cotton which fade over time) and Canterbury navy socks that stay up without garters etc.

Finally we are back to a YRS white shirt which got side-lined about 12 years ago. In answer to the opening post - wearing a white shirt definitely shows you do know what you're doing. ;)

Getting togged out in all the stuff available for YRS will cost a pretty penny (and quite a few ugly ones).

Also at nearly sixty there is no way on God's green earth that I will ever be seen wearing "Skinny Pants" - WTF??

I suspect they are de rigueur if you're going shoplifting at Footlocker with your daft mates.

If you're curious and rich see here.

My RFU gear when I AR is the usual Gilbert black shorts and black plain socks.

Nick the RL player.jpg

Last edited: