[Ruck] Should the ladder/caterpiller ruck be outlawed?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I suppose the real question is .. IF it was to be outlawed how would it be worded such that

* it prevents what is wanted to be stopped
* with no confusions, succinctly and clearly
* without any unintended consequences?

That's the rub with many of rugby's laws .

And lest face it when they can't get something as simple as putting a ball into the scrum "straight" sorted how on earth are they going to acheive the above?

didds

Last edited:

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I wonder how many refs on here often give turnovers once the 5 seconds after the "Use!" is called ?

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I never have No 9s delay, so it isn't an issue for me

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It needs to be addressed, but as the others have said, how would you enforce it? Change the definition of what is bound in a ruck if a player is not in contact with an opposition player? Opens a can of worms.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
There's a simple, straightforward solution to the caterpillar ruck - ENFORCE THE BLOODY OFFSIDE LAW AT THE RUCK (Law 15.4)

The only reason that caterpillar rucks started happening in the first place was because referees failed to keep the pillars onside, resulting in the SH's time to pick up and box kick being cut down.

Enforce Law 15.4, and the reason for the caterpillar ruck goes away.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Or enforce the 9 to be behind the back foot, so that the ball has to heeled back along the caterpillar

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I wonder how many refs on here often give turnovers once the 5 seconds after the "Use!" is called ?

I've only once had a call go to 5 seconds, and that was because I was standing in the passing lane. Oops.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Or enforce the 9 to be behind the back foot, so that the ball has to heeled back along the caterpillar

I may have missed your nuance here CR but that wont get rid of the CR, just changes who slowly toes it along the length of the caterpillar? Until it reaches the final player in the CR and the the SH can jiggle it about with HIS toe until its where he wants it anyway.

Ian's point is a good one. Many silly issues could be sorted - or at least start to be sorted - by insisting the laws are followed in the first place. then review what THEN needs addressing.

didds

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
What "phase" are win in in the picture? Is it:

1: a Post tackle (TWOL)
2: A ruck

If it is a tackle why give 5 seconds. At a tackle the ball must be made available "immediately". That is not happening.

If it is a ruck where the "defenders" have detached. The ball is available and Law 15.17. should apply.

Of course, Ian is right, if we enforce the various offside lines the problam will largely resolve itself.

Last edited:

frenchie851

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7

I agree with this. I think this would stop it because the 9 wouldn't trust the clumsy forward to heel the ball back through 5 people.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I agree with this. I think this would stop it because the 9 wouldn't trust the clumsy forward to heel the ball back through 5 people.

FWIW I don't think it would stop it at all.

didds

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Cut Down the "use it" time from 5s to 2s would help
(Or even to immediately)

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

didds

Indeed. The whole point of the tactic is to create a gap for the 9 to use. Therefore he wants to be near the back. There is no point in the 9 pushing too far up the side.

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1

didds

Disagree, if you're giving away a penalty every time you do it, then you'll soon stop it. Especially if you're giving away 3 points min each time you do it.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
It seems to me to be an unintended consequence of the TWOL - no opposition players to push the back foot back, so the can stand that much closer. I don't see much of a problem with it, though - if a team want to commit another four forwards to a ruck then take the kick from three metres further back then good luck to them.

But agree with Ian - proper policing of offside lines would make this a non-issue.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
For me this is the refs fault at the top level, if the ball is at the back foot and clearly available they need to call use it. Sadly they don't.
If you have a two man caterpillar and you call use it and somebody else joins in, tough luck.
The other way I would stop it as an opportunity would be to get two men or more, arriving at the ruck leagally and hit the prone lead man hard. They would certainly think twice about trying it again

WoodyOne

Coach / Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
The other way I would stop it as an opportunity would be to get two men or more, arriving at the ruck leagally and hit the prone lead man hard. They would certainly think twice about trying it again

I'm not sure that course of action is available to us as refs!! ;-)

I'm definitely in the "use it" camp: the ball tends to have been clearly won quite some time before a picture like this emerges, and I'd take the view that the ball is available to be played at any point that it's being managed back... just not always by the 9 in the way they might like.

Elpablo73

Referees in England
Post Likes
I agree with the "Use it" camp, once it has been secured and is available then you have 5 seconds to do something with the ball. Leaving it in the TWOL/Ruck and moving it back is negative play and should be discouraged.