Should we make our Facebook group private?

Dave Elliott

Administrator
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Not sure how many of you are on our Facebook page, but what are people’s thoughts on making it a private group?

That way rugby conversations can be had without you misses, granny and boss seeing them on your news feed!

Just an idea, but what are your thoughts?

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I think anything that is public is always a potential problem. I've posted on here a comment that was fine on a "closed" group but it was on an "open" part of the firums. We don't all understand the nuances of the set up. Much safer with the FB page to make it closed I think.

Also with the forums it needs to be totaly clear which areas are Private and which not. We don't want individuals or the forum getting in trouble.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
when the site was down a couple of weeks ago, I had a vague recollection that there was a FB group, as I was going to check what the outage was about/was known/planned etc.

I coiudlnt find such a beast so presumed id just got confused.

Ive just searched FB groups for "rugbyrefs" - I still can't find it ...

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Yes if you don't want rugby fans piling in on referees!
Facebook can be a bit of a wild west sometimes.

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Personally there are enough referee Facebook sites. What extra value to this website would be gained from a Facebook page, private or public? i don't wish to see the same discussions on Facebook that we have here. Other sites tend to provide alternative viewpoints (sometimes VERY wacky), even when some of our regulars post sensibly (as they always do).

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
ISTR the idea wasnt so much for it to be a place for dicussion per se... more of a comms link if/when the site goes down and people can check if it is down really and if so warn the admins

Last edited:

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
More reason (didds) for it to be private? Nothing for the public to see.

Dave Elliott

Administrator
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I think anything that is public is always a potential problem. I've posted on here a comment that was fine on a "closed" group but it was on an "open" part of the firums. We don't all understand the nuances of the set up. Much safer with the FB page to make it closed I think.

Also with the forums it needs to be totaly clear which areas are Private and which not. We don't want individuals or the forum getting in trouble.
@Marc Wakeham most of the site is open to the public per-say, with the refs parts being only open to referees. The rest is read only until someone registers.