Shoving the referee

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
That's a send-off, if I can be sure that he's come after me. Trouble is, since we're usually looking somewhere completely different when this sort of thing happens...

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
Absolutely. You really need a mate to come in and help you out here.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Glenda is not looking as BT shoves him.

That said YC and TMO notwithstanding I'd like to see the NZ authorities throw the book at him - probably 1001 Steak and Cheese Pie Recipes.

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
Looking at the video twice, it is clear that it is red. However, at the instant of the push the player is looking away. It takes a review to see that he knows exactly what he was doing.

Speaking hypothetically, if playing advantage for a (cynical) yellow-card offence and then the same player as has been noticed pushes you but you can't be sure (no TMO, no AR) if it was deliberate, double Y = Red?

On a completely different note, I have been touched by defending players more often than pushed, but since I make a point of not standing within arms distance of the defending off-side line you can imagine how easy those advantages were to give ;)

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
If you feel tempted to argue contributory negligence, note that Glen Jackson gets into position first. Not that being the wrong side of the post is a particularly good position ...

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
Word on the street is that he is going to get 3 weeks. Seems very light to me.

6 Weeks should be the starting point, and then I'd add another 50% for his total lack of justification or excuse, and another 50% for not bothering to go over and check that Jackson was OK. So 12 Weeks off. He can miss the first 4 weeks of Super Rugby, the fat fluffybunny.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Stone cold red. All day long!

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Mrs Daft and I watched this we both agreed:rc:

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Contact with the referee is either nothing or a red IMO. I can't see any case where it'd be a yellow. Obviously in this case, it's a red!

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Glenda is not looking as BT shoves him.

That said YC and TMO notwithstanding I'd like to see the NZ authorities throw the book at him - probably 1001 Steak and Cheese Pie Recipes.

It's only after watching the game on TV rather than the clip above that I realised BT got the yellow for killing the ball at a subsequent ruck.

I can't imagine how GJ thought it may have been accidental but obviously he wasn't watching BT.

I hope damo is wrong and it's not just some token ban.

If Gareth Burns (remember him?) compiled another video of players pushing over referees this would be in there and if BT cops a few weeks then GB has more reason to perhaps feel aggrieved?

Although the circumstances were different (he was in the process of being sent off) even Paolo Di Canio (Sheffield Wednesday 1998) got an 11match ban for his push on a referee.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Contact with the referee is either nothing or a red IMO. I can't see any case where it'd be a yellow. Obviously in this case, it's a red!

Yep. I can perfectly understand that a referee can get clattered when he gets himself badly out of position, and in the way of a tackler or player going for the ball. This was nothing like that. GJ was well away from the play and nowhere near where it was likely to go in a time short enough that he could not have got out of the way.

Shelflife

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Red, simple really, if we allow players to shove us out of the way all the time then its the start of a slippery slope.

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
YC was not for pushing ref. It was for on the floor stuff.

For me that wasn't an "get out of the way" type of push, which is usually to the side, one arm. It was a 2 handed in the back shove. Red card all day long. Hope it gets cited.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
YC was not for pushing ref. It was for on the floor stuff.

For me that wasn't an "get out of the way" type of push, which is usually to the side, one arm. It was a 2 handed in the back shove. Red card all day long. Hope it gets cited.

It has been

http://www.espnscrum.com/scrum/rugby/story/239389.html

The hearing is this afternoon. NZ time

I'm picking he'll get 4 weeks, although IMO it should be 8 weeks.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
That article says "Tameifuna appeared to shove Jackson who had moved into his way to get a better position"

But the very start of the video clearly shows that GJ was already in position when BT comes round the goal post and shoves him over.

IMO He'll struggle to use Horwills "unbalanced" defence, but it remains a long shot if he's desperate ! .... (&Ducks!)

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
That article says "Tameifuna appeared to shove Jackson who had moved into his way to get a better position"

But the very start of the video clearly shows that GJ was already in position when BT comes round the goal post and shoves him over.

That appears to bo ESPN's take.

Stuff.co.nz seems to place a little more responsibility on Tameifuna;

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/provincial/10454132/Ben-Tameifuna-under-fire-for-shoving-referee

"Tameifuna came around from behind the posts to find Jackson in his way and appeared to brush him aside, knocking Jackson to the ground."

You know that am usually critical of referees who get in the way of players through their own poor positioning or being too close to the tackle/ruck and end up getting clattered, but this is different. Jackson was well positioned, away from the ruck and moving further away; perhaps sensing that the play might be coming his way. He was not between the player and the ruck or the ball carrier. It looked to me like BT almost went out of his way to shove Jackson. Not acceptable IMO.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Is the player an All Balck's contender?